Winston-Salem, NC - Sunday, July 28, 2019

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Shia??

hqdefault.jpg

24 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Here's a thought: I don't believe there's ever been a tie in Finals for third place.

Yet another possibility that I did not consider however;

ShortAndFast Posted in the Post ATLANTA Finals Predictions thread:
"1. They removed the tiebreaker in 2008 or 2009, and there is none at present".

"2. Mathematically, it's harder to tie these days than under the scoring system of the late 90s because of multiple averaged judges on a caption".

The top 6 scores are so close, its difficult to choose.

Has there ever been a group this large and so close in the past?  It seems like the top 12 are basically divided into two tiers and are close to each other within their tiers.

You have been quite factual in your previous posts. Thank you

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Cavaliers had the furthest to go.  They were dirty dirty in Detroit.  I figured when they cleaned that up, they’d start leapfrogging corps in front of them.  Timing is everything.

Cavaliers were so dirty in Detroit that they didn't even get a score.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

DING DONG!  For those who know the Tim Conway Jr. radio show in L.A., they know about a ding dong.  It's when the lead changes multiple times near the end of a horse race and no one knows who is going to win.  That's what we have here.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Some people have been making this argument since 2010. They're wrong. It's just nasty.

This isn't an argument... So therefore it can't be "wrong".

Your distaste for it is certainly valid, but not on the grounds that the practice serves no purpose.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kbbandman said:

Thanks for that explanation (I hadn't thought of it that way) - if all that was done with the sub-frequencies is what you described, that would be different than actually covering up the tuba sounds.  These days, it is probably more of an issue on the streams than in-person problem, although I have heard a few shows live this year that had overpowering "goo" happening. Are you saying that none of the corps are doubling the tuba octave?  It sure seems like I am hearing some synth patches that are "boosting" the tuba - or is it just overtones?  I agree that it could be a topic unto itself. 

I can't say for certain that no corps are doubling parts with synths (they are allowed to, so far as I know).  Lots of corps are using samples, loops and laying in recorded material.  I am saying that the sound that most people refer to as 'goo' is as I described, for the purpose that I described based on the preexisting mixing practice that I described.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

There are your three caption winners. Bet on it.

I would bet on it... Good odds.

I would also bet on Bluecoats GE and Devils for visual.  And those are additional reasons why the winning score will likely be held back from the record high.  The only way to beat the record is to sweep the captions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Yet another possibility that I did not consider however;

ShortAndFast Posted in the Post ATLANTA Finals Predictions thread:
"1. They removed the tiebreaker in 2008 or 2009, and there is none at present".

"2. Mathematically, it's harder to tie these days than under the scoring system of the late 90s because of multiple averaged judges on a caption".

The top 6 scores are so close, its difficult to choose.

Has there ever been a group this large and so close in the past?  It seems like the top 12 are basically divided into two tiers and are close to each other within their tiers.

You have been quite factual in your previous posts. Thank you

It's also 'possible' that a smaller margin means more today than it used to.  Meaning that what it takes to pass a 1 point margin is what it now takes to pass .3 in this era of high impact programming (14th place corps are doing things musically and visually that we would have seen from champions in the 90's).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I can't say for certain that no corps are doubling parts with synths (they are allowed to, so far as I know).  Lots of corps are using samples, loops and laying in recorded material.  I am saying that the sound that most people refer to as 'goo' is as I described, for the purpose that I described based on the preexisting mixing practice that I described.

I thought I heard 2 horns in a solo feature in Atlanta. I'm having a hard time distinguishing who's playing what, with all the amplification going on. Some of the early corps without so much electronics, were nice to hear all the texture and subtleties.

• Like 1