Post ATLANTA Finals Predictions

22 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Normally I would say yes. But there is only 2.25 difference from last night. I know BD and 18 time World Champs says it all. They know how to win and they are not done yet.

Back in the early 2000's after 1999 tie (Cadets & Cavaliers) & 2000 tie (BD & SCV) produced 4 champions in 13 months, the rules were changed to avoid ties in the future (or at least make it unlikely).  High GE was the first tiebreaker, after that were other captions but I don't recall what order they went in.  

I think this is still in place but am open to being corrected

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Back in the early 2000's after 1999 tie (Cadets & Cavaliers) & 2000 tie (BD & SCV) produced 4 champions in 13 months, the rules were changed to avoid ties in the future (or at least make it unlikely).  High GE was the first tiebreaker, after that were other captions but I don't recall what order they went in.  

OK, I stand corrected, Final outcome will be "Razor Thin" whichever way it goes.

This list is what I think should happen. Not based just on "favorites" or historical warm fuzzies. Trying to think through the sheets and judging to a tenth, and where the activity is now, where it seems to be going, and what I would like for the future of the activity to be in order to gain more fans and more informed lauders. If close in my book, I always ask myself two things:  1) Who do I want to see again asap, and 2) who do I need to see again because I am intrigued and need another viewing. 

1.  Bluecoats:  It is just so nearly flawlessly designed. Though championship BD has had some great shows this past decade, there are always loose ends, sometime a lot of them, and the re0use of devices has gone from being isms to being predictable. Bluecoats have two small things that will get cleared up. Make the new ending noticeably better and more exciting and I think this is a game changer.  The music ensemble is so good most of the show that I think it is easy to sit back and forget how hard it is to craft and perfect. That high brass lick in the middle that goes on for the length of a Scorsase film is the most amazing "lick" brass feature ever in the activity, and they are spread 30 to 30 in small pods. 

2. BD: This production is a great version of the many shows we have seen from them this past decade. Too many loose ends and it lack heart too frequently. They are great and I enjoy them a lot, but think Blue Coats the better package. 

3. Cavies: I know this is a bit of stretch for many, but based on my two questions (mentioned above), this is where they belong. Total package. Most all captions even. No weakness.

4. SCV: Excellence as effect is their bailiwick. There are 20 other corps that give us that. Not to the same level nor frequency- but it isn't a unique production aspect that we can't experience with other corps. They can explain their show to me over and over and I can even totally buy the whole counter-culture thing, but where's the emotional value? The heart? The excitement based on well crafted pacing that leads to from scene to scene holding your breath? The drab costumes for the musicians is just one more aspect that lowers the shows appeal. Flowy Grey with pink accents? Really? 

5. BOSTON: Such a great show! Would music rather see it over and over than SCV again. Too many "small" aspects that have then 5th for me including the Goliath on stilts thing. 

6. CROWN: Best 6th place corps ever. For me, they suffer from the SCV woes a bit, though I would rather see them again than SCV. Excellence is excellent. 

7. BK: This is also a game changer. Love every beat of every bar. 

8. BLUE STARS:  Love every beat of every bar. A unique voice in the activity. Too many "small" aspects have them just under BK for me. 

9. MANDARINS: Congrats on your second year in. Great show. Less mature performers than those ranked above. Guard helps place them here. 

10. PHANTOM: Besides being most improved in one season, I love this show. 

11. CROSSMEN: Comparable to Mandarins, but still growing the talent level, and consistency in performance. 

12: CADETS: Though percussion scores may keep them higher, the show is just really rough. I love the first stament and then I am done. Many shows ranked lower show MUCH better planning and creativity. 

13. PACIFIC CREST: Maybe I am just a sucker for really well designed shows performed at a high level, but I think the judges are caught off guard by how well this production is designed and some unfortunately do not have the experience with amplification and electronics to take into account that those aspects of their show compare to the skill levels of the top 6. That said, they have much more going for them than just the electronic engineering and incredible musical balance throughout the music ensemble. For me, I  think this is clearly 13th, and not close. I do not know how the on-fleld skills hold up to any detail, but from the stands, it looks and sounds top 12. 

14. SOA: Great show. Better corps than last year's. Too many loose ends and a few bad transitions. Didn't plan out costume changes to the detail needed. Talent still young overall. 

15. ACADEMY: Have improved a lot the past two weeks. May surpass SOA. Some inexperience is still evident in the design and performers. 

16. COLTS: Great show. Best they have been in a while. It is just not getting better at the rate of those above them. 

17. TROOPERS: A tidy show performed well. Some fundamental training and finessing of exposed moments will improve this product a lot the next few weeks. 

18. SCOUTS: Deeper talent that Troopers, but I do not care to see the show again and there is not one phrase that is clean visually or musically (much more a brass issue than percussion). Some design segments are truly elementary level and poor performed. Why does the battery wear white hats? 

19. MUSIC CITY: Good show. Unique. Fun. Great music. Solid production. 

20. GENESIS: The bones for a great production that got a bit away from them in regards to details and making the prop restating flawless. Good corps. 

21. SURF: Logical show that displays great fundamental training. Pacing issues. Expecting more in 2020. 

22. CASCADES: Better music making than 2018. Interesting idea. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

ok,  I'll play (with trepidation): 

2 Weeks is a loooong time from now and it is soooon.  I'm guessing everyone will be on their game.

Good Luck to all.

1 Bluecoats
2 BD
3 SCV
4 Boston
5 Crown
6 Cavies
7 Blue Knights
8 Blue Stars
9 Mandarins
10 Crossmen
11 Cadets
12 Phantom
Percussion - SCV
Brass - Crown
Guard - Boston
GE - Bluecoats
Visual - Blue Devils

My exact predictions..... including the caption winners.   Great minds think alike!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

They removed the tiebreaker in 2008 or 2009, and there is none at present. If two groups tie for 1st at finals, both will be champions and receive gold medals.

Mathematically, it's harder to tie these days than under the scoring system of the late 90s (multiple averaged judges on a caption, individual scores that go to .05). Nevertheless it happened in 14th place last night.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bluesman said:

My exact predictions..... including the caption winners.   Great minds think alike!

or... both of you are wrong :spitting: