Charleston, WV - Monday, July 29, 2019

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Me too, first live show in 1979.  I still remember getting splinters in my butt from those uncomfortable wood planks from those days in the old Marshall Stadium.  They sold out every seat from goal line to goal line and used to seat hundreds of overflow people on the other side.  The corps which finished competing would sit over there too and watch the other corps compete.  Followed by full corps retreat, and then they trouped the stands and played themselves off the field.

I remember BD, Vanguard, Scouts, Bridgemen in those late 70's.  I also remember a lower tier corps knocking off the defending World Champion Vanguard in 1982 for the first time ever.  The Garfield Cadets left an impression on me and was a favorite of mine for years to come.  Fantastic excitement in those days.

And I'm sorry to admit that I remember laughing, but it was a huge upset when Garfield Cadets beat the Vanguard in 1982.  The Bridgemen turned away from passing in front of Garfield and instead passed in front of the Vanguard, playing a chunk from one of their show tunes; "Shaft."

I remember being there that night. Zingali was in heaven with enthusiasm. I remember close the fans in the stands were to the field as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

This seems to be a running theme with the season, as a growing number of weekday shows have no more than 6 corps in them, purportedly due to all the member safety concerns.

Don't want to belabor the point, as it was discussed way back in November when the schedule was released, but it is what it is.

I am not one to use DCI in an Evil Empire kind of way, but word is DCI, whether it is the member corps or executive staff, would prefer more larger shows in strategic areas and fewer small shows. Local show sponsors have had some issues scheduling in the past few years and more and more shows are cancelled. New England used to have three early season shows and one late season show. I’m willing to bet it will be one within five years, and the Cadets Drum Corps an American Tradition will be only one show. 

I love the shows with the larger line ups, but something will be lost if we lose the smaller shows,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I am not one to use DCI in an Evil Empire kind of way, but word is DCI, whether it is the member corps or executive staff, would prefer more larger shows in strategic areas and fewer small shows. Local show sponsors have had some issues scheduling in the past few years and more and more shows are cancelled. New England used to have three early season shows and one late season show. I’m willing to bet it will be one within five years, and the Cadets Drum Corps an American Tradition will be only one show. 

I love the shows with the larger line ups, but something will be lost if we lose the smaller shows,

However, as a past corps tour officer, I know well that the small shows provide housing ops and practice ops that become too cumbersome for many large shows. Hello Crossmen now looking for Allentown housing. One often goes back to small show friends.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

And I'm sorry to admit that I remember laughing, but it was a huge upset when Garfield Cadets beat the Vanguard in 1982.  The Bridgemen turned away from passing in front of Garfield and instead passed in front of the Vanguard, playing a chunk from one of their show tunes; "Shaft."

I marched with Bluecoats that year, we did an exhibition show there, we were in the area and had a few West Virginia players. Remember Bridgemen doing that. 

3 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Pacific Crest getting closer.  .3 behind The Academy.  

Phantom Regiment won percussion by two points.  😳

I'm seeing a lot of 3s in the recaps for a Corps that came in 4th, and a few 2s.  Nice job Pacific Crest!!!