Centerville, OH - Monday, July 29, 2019

Here ya all go, Head to Head to compare

Blue Devils 2019 Ghostlight (Soaring Sounds Centerville, Ohio)

Bluecoats 2019 (Soaring Sounds Centerville, Ohio)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clearly very different perspective watching the this show from this angle captured by a fan.

1. You can hear the music much better without all the synth boost from the FLO streams and BD is sounding super clean.

2. I can see where BD scored over Bloo in Guard - BD is just knocking it out of the park.

3. Now, you can hear all the "GOO" that Bloo is adding to their show. Doesn't sound as good as in a FLO stream but I still like their show and overall visual.

Just some quick thoughts

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Clearly very different perspective watching the this show from this angle captured by a fan.

1. You can hear the music much better without all the synth boost from the FLO streams and BD is sounding super clean.

2. I can see where BD scored over Bloo in Guard - BD is just knocking it out of the park.

3. Now, you can hear all the "GOO" that Bloo is adding to their show. Doesn't sound as good as in a FLO stream but I still like their show and overall visual.

Just some quick thoughts

I don't see how any body can make any judgment about the quality of horn lines or GE etc. from those "awful" recordings.    Comparing to another recording medium (Flo) isn't much better.

Live  comparisons are the only way to judge.

5 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

I don't see how any body can make any judgment about the quality of horn lines or GE etc. from those "awful" recordings.    Comparing to another recording medium (Flo) isn't much better.

Yes, those recordings are not the best but I expect they might be similar to someone who periscopes a show. Plus BD country is my hometown. I have seen their show many times via live, youtube and FLO from their Family Day till now so I think I can hear the differences in their performances. Usually I'm a big SCV fan but I follow what both corps do as they compete.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob P. said:

For the judges, sure. But most of the live audience never hears the brass lines like the brass judge does either, because from the audience's perspective, (1) so much of the brass sound is now pumped through speakers and (2) so much of it accompanied by synth that you rarely get a clean read.

Oh and there's not one corps who's properly mixing except maybe for the good seats in Lucas Oil (which all corps presumably sound-design for and where the Finalists have the benefit of three shots to get it right) -- certainly not for a smaller venue like Centerville where even 25 rows up on the 50, every corps had moments where they sounded like mush. (And in the case of corps with 'Blue" in their name, it was more than just a few moments).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Yes, those recordings are not the best but I expect they might be similar to someone who periscopes a show. Plus BD country is my hometown. I have seen their show many times via live, youtube and FLO from their Family Day till now so I think I can hear the differences in their performances. Usually I'm a big SCV fan but I follow what both corps do as they compete.

But surely you couldn't really judge the GE (guard) from that video!  Yet you said that BD "knock it out of the park".  The most one could see are rifle tosses, which were quite good, BTW.  

True I cannot judge the entire guard. I was focusing on the CG Flags on the Right side of the field which I can see as a block and watching their timing and they are together. On the Recap they have the high score of 18.900 over Bloo who had an 18.700. I am also looking at the Rifle tosses, their height and being together in the spins. As a part of the total Color Guard they are doing some high tosses and they are doing them together. That is what I think the judges see from up in the stands. Body movement  and the total visual I do not know. I also know that when TJ rehearses the guard, she is a stickler on timing across the board.

5 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Here ya all go, Head to Head to compare

Blue Devils 2019 Ghostlight (Soaring Sounds Centerville, Ohio)

Bluecoats 2019 (Soaring Sounds Centerville, Ohio)

uh oh i think the drum guy went three yards out

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

uh oh i think the drum guy went three yards out

How dare they get within 5 feet of any performer! On a side note, the satisfaction of making judges like Kristensen and Prosperie go "YEAH BABY!!!" can't be beat. Hope these lines still get moments like this with this rule in place