the gooy goo thread

live by the electronics die by the electronics right?   well no... because when anyone is unbalanced (which happens more often than not) or even having electronic issues affecting sound or popping/cracking, etc. do the scores reflect that.  Also no.  Why I have no clue - this is still a competition right?  or is it?

3 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

The emergence of electronic enhancements is probably not an issue for most of us. However, it’s long overdue for better application and control. For recent years it seems the “goo” is used more as a volume booster than just a subtle color addition.  I like loud brass, just not fake loud brass.

That volume "enhancement"... including the use of front-sideline microphones... tops my short list (and it's pretty short, I enjoy more stuff than I don't) of things that I would love to see done differently in modern-day drum corps.

Why field 70-80 horns. Field, say, 40-45 and add in volume.  LOL. And have the various audio devices pay tour fees to make up the difference in revenue. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

We sure have to twist up the logic to defend the goo. “Experientially” speaking, I found it so painful to my ears and so distorting of the sound quality as to make it not worth my money to experience it anymore. So I hope the dozen people “in the box” are enjoying good sound quality. Outside the box, I was not. 

Maybe it's time for a new organization:

D.O.G.

Defenders of Goo. :innocent:

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

It's easy to say that because this activity is competitive and all design decisions are presumed (wrongly) to be made exclusively on these grounds.  It's also easy to say it if one's mind is firmly fixated on the score sheets and presence of judges.  It's easy for drumcorps to fall into the same trap and it's obvious when they do.

But what is the explanation for the presence, use and experimentation of this stuff in all other idioms of music composition and performance?  Surely, musical presentation at large is not an organized competitive environment.

Just for the sake of discussion, the first time (when the rules were relaxed on this) that I heard an aesthetically interesting use of sub bass that was noticeable was at Allentown.  I heard it, and my wife turned to me and read my mind when she said "that was a really neat effect".  We were watching...

Pioneer.

Would you like to tell me that Pioneer jumped the field with their implementation due to an... ehem... "arms race"?

Most things worth talking about can be easily reduced via cynicism.  But that reduction requires a whole lot of effort and willful tunnel vision.

When you characterize opinions that differ from your own as cynical and tunnel visioned it is easy to see how differences of opinion can quickly degrade into mud slinging. 

When I have to put my fingers in my ears because the amplified sound is so loud it physically hurts, I’m well beyond “they’re just deciding how to use it.”  When you cannot hear the brass over the goo, it seems like something is way out of balance. It’s getting progressively worse. In my opinion of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

When you characterize opinions that differ from your own as cynical and tunnel visioned it is easy to see how differences of opinion can quickly degrade into mud slinging. 

When I have to put my fingers in my ears because the amplified sound is so loud it physically hurts, I’m well beyond “they’re just deciding how to use it.”  When you cannot hear the brass over the goo, it seems like something is way out of balance. It’s getting progressively worse. In my opinion of course. 

I didn't categorize your opinion... I chategorized your exclusion of opinion.

And then correctly identified your opinion as a type of reasoned 'taste' among other 'tastes'.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Comedy gold. Anyway, What are we now, in the 15th year of allowing amplified sound?  And the sound is actually worse now than it was in 2005. And we’re to believe that after 15 years they’re still learning how to use it?

Outside of goo, the biggest issues are usually new toys they experiment with, and odds are, there's going to be a learning curve. I mean the apps on your phone constantly update right? usually because updates have glitches found?

when it comes to goo, some people just want that deep bass sound as if they are at a Rush concert and Geddy is throwing down. The problem is when you sit lower, yeah it's gonna suck, or watching online because of where they place the mics, yeah it could be an issue. I remember a few years ago, there was a corps every show on Flo oh my god, it was horrible. Saw them live....barely noticed it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dcibrando said:

live by the electronics die by the electronics right?   well no... because when anyone is unbalanced (which happens more often than not) or even having electronic issues affecting sound or popping/cracking, etc. do the scores reflect that.  Also no.  Why I have no clue - this is still a competition right?  or is it?

I agree judging doesn't take it into consideration like they should. But i also don't base it off of what I see online because i know Flo can't figure out how to mic ####

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

when it comes to goo, some people just want that deep bass sound as if they are at a Rush concert and Geddy is throwing down. The problem is when you sit lower, yeah it's gonna suck, or watching online because of where they place the mics, yeah it could be an issue. 

Thank you for saying this. It reminded me. I go to concerts, listen to rock music ..... and one big reason for drum corps appeal to me was because it was Different from the rock music. More of the same doesn’t appeal. To each their own. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Thank you for saying this. It reminded me. I go to concerts, listen to rock music ..... and one big reason for drum corps appeal to me was because it was Different from the rock music. More of the same doesn’t appeal. To each their own. 

I don't mind some rock music in my drum corps. key word some. then again you have major acts adding drumlines to their concerts.