When do you stop donating to a corps?

20 hours ago, Tim K said:

There are two OC corps and one WC corps that call my area home. I do donate and do not feel my donation is misspent. That being said, the WC corps is not as financially strapped as it once was, and is doing rather well competitively and financially. I would love to see this corps use smaller donations for scholarships. The donations from people like me I am sure are appreciated, and acknowledged,  but for a corps that has top, well paid staff and everything is state of the art, smaller donors who are fans, alums, or simply like supporting drum corps would love to know our donations are used are used to help kids march who can’t afford it.

Two things I no longer do: when corps ask you to bring bottled water, Gatorade, paper products, etc. to a show, I no longer do it. I’ve done this with four different corps in the past couple of years and it is treated as if it is an imposition by the people collecting it. My guess is it sounds like a good idea at the time but it’s not practical. I also avoid Amazon wishlists. They can be problematic with a traveling group.

In regards to the highlighted section above, they do...........

"1940 Club / Scholarship Fund
As member dues continue to rise, we strive to be able to aid our Giants in having the experience of a lifetime! Contribute just $19.40/month or make a one time donation! You will be listed as a 1940 Club member and you can designate a preferred section to receive your funds."

1 hour ago, Barneveld said:

As member dues continue to rise, we strive to be able to aid our Giants in having the experience of a lifetime! Contribute just $19.40/month or make a one time donation! You will be listed as a 1940 Club member and you can designate a preferred section to receive your funds."

I am aware of the 1940 Club, but raising separate funds for a scholarship is not the same thing as a corps budgeting a scholarship. I guess I am thinking more in terms of private school budgeting  where you always allocate a certain amount from the budget for scholarships, and thinking a bit about it it may not necessarily work in a Drum corps budget. 

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I am aware of the 1940 Club, but raising separate funds for a scholarship is not the same thing as a corps budgeting a scholarship. I guess I am thinking more in terms of private school budgeting  where you always allocate a certain amount from the budget for scholarships, and thinking a bit about it it may not necessarily work in a Drum corps budget. 

Silly me for not being able to read your mind. You didn't mention budgeting in your original post. Have a nice night. 🙂

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

odd. 2 years ago I showed up to a Boston rehearsal with a ton of granola bars, water and some, uh snacks for staff, and i was thanked by many people...and allowed in the stadium to see something i was sworn to secrecy not tell I saw since it was a few days away from being made public

I am not going to mention any of the corps that seemed to have issues with collecting non monetary donations, but since you mentioned donating to BAC, I will say it was not Boston Crusaders. I have found Boston Crusaders is always gracious with donations. 

Edited by Tim K

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

Edited by Tim K

No problem re-evaluating the productiveness of contributions to nonprofits. In fact, effectiveness of the organization should be one important variable influencing donor gifts. That helps channel donations to highly valued uses.

Effectiveness should be aligned with organization mission and goals. (Even then, there’s plenty of room for interpretation about what’s effective and what isn’t.) In drum corps, I wouldn’t demand that scores and placements be the only criteria for gifts. (It could be. That’s up to any donor.) but I would find it odd if some measure of field performance wasn’t included in the package various goals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Isn’t this just a novel way to designate funds on a monthly plan?

I get TimK’s point: when his corps stars in the top five, they didn’t get there by struggling with a “fuel fund”.  At that level, the most effective use of the small-donor funds is tying the donor directly to a MM or section, making it personal.  I think Tim is thinking about a corps designating a portion of their assets to scholarships every year as a budget item.

You probably know all this; I know TimK and where he serves and I don’t think he at all was trying to trap you by withholding the key “budget line item” lingo.

Or, he could actually be an axe-murderer. 😉

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I am not going to mention any of the corps that seemed to have issues with collecting non monetary donations, but since you mentioned donating to BAC, I will say it was not Boston Crusaders. I have found Boston Crusaders is always gracious with donations. 

they're the only ones i have ever taken food to ( not including goodies for staffers i know...they're always grateful)

23 hours ago, Tim K said:

I think I know a bit more about soup kitchens and food pantries volunteers than I do drum corps volunteers, and have provided community service hours for all sorts of people for all kinds of reasons in different non drum corps situations. That being said, I have a feeling we’re not dealing with people doing community service hours at drum corps shows, at least not collecting the donations. 

2 types of community service hours: altruistic and then there's the court-mandated. I am only speaking of the first which at times can be its obligation as in kid's mandate for Confirmation programs, graduation requirement, parents (or spouse) told me it would be good for me to...

Drum corps collections I am referencing is the type similar to what Jersey Surf and Blue Stars have done on many occasions where they collect the food at the gate of the contest or performance and deliver to the soup kitchen/community pantry. A corps I worked with did this type of collection but allowed Scouts, pre-Confirmandi, and not-yet-graduated to chalk up their hours manning the gates. Sometimes they (or their parents) just wanted to elsewhere with their buds doing what non-marching people do during the summer. I guess I will have to find a new term for non-marching because that now can apply to all DCIers except Crown.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Isn’t this just a novel way to designate funds on a monthly plan?

I get TimK’s point: when his corps stars in the top five, they didn’t get there by struggling with a “fuel fund”.  At that level, the most effective use of the small-donor funds is tying the donor directly to a MM or section, making it personal.  I think Tim is thinking about a corps designating a portion of their assets to scholarships every year as a budget item.

You probably know all this; I know TimK and where he serves and I don’t think he at all was trying to trap you by withholding the key “budget line item” lingo.

Or, he could actually be an axe-murderer. 😉

He's with the Crossmen? Guess so given his job.