When do you stop donating to a corps?

When it comes to sponsoring a MM, anyone know what the current fees are for various corps?! Things have changed a lot over the last several years and I know it’s become a lot more $$

18 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

When it comes to sponsoring a MM, anyone know what the current fees are for various corps?! Things have changed a lot over the last several years and I know it’s become a lot more $$

$3,500 to $4,000 per season seems pretty common, but multiple auditions and multiple camps, plus "Spring Training", can push the total cost well over $5,000.

• Like 1

Donations, tough one for me.  I've donated to member dues and never got a response or a thank you from the corps or members, I had no idea if the money went to member dues? I've donated and had to ask for a donation letter for tax time, they made it seem like a big hassle.  I've donated and gotten a thank you and donation letter via email immediately!  I donated to a corporate drum corps operation and got more junk mail than I ever wanted....for years.  I've skipped a donation when the pitch was "We need $5k for new opener flags so we can make finals"....sorry your bad choice in flags doesn't warrant a donation.  I laughed when a top corps wanted something like $50,000 for new uniforms for the last two weeks of the season so they could win.  Somebody donated, because they got the uniforms and wore them 5 times....not sure if they won or not.  I cringed when the Open Class corps cried for money a few years ago and said they weren't going to finish tour.....and was startled when they got $100,000.

I'm no big donor, just small amounts here and there.  Give what your heart says to give.  If you think your money isn't being spent wisely why not email the corps with your reservations, or just take a break from giving?  I do know this, any corps will gladly take your money, but money is best spent be the smallest corps on the tightest budgets.  I'd rather pay for a new bugle for a start up than shiny hub caps for a top 12 corps golf cart.

Edited by jonnyboy
  • Like 4

I am an alumnus of the Madison Scouts, and I have donated to them through the 1938 Corps initiative for the past few years.

I’m of the opinion that the corps should evolve with the times, and those who aren’t on board are ultimately of no consequence. However, that thought cuts both ways...if they decide not to evolve with the times, the opinions of those who think they should don’t really matter. When I saw their first few performances, I discontinued my contributions.

• Like 1