Favorite moments this season

The huge marching rectangle in the blue Devils show is certainly a highlight for me. As shows have become less about marching, it’s cool that the best cops still shows you how it’s done.

Also love the tap dancing segment. That’s just great design. And you can tell the kids love doing it.

I also love the trademark last 30 seconds of the blue nights show. Again, proof that marching is not dead in DCI.

The arrangements in the bluecoats, Santa Clara, and blue knights shows are amazing. Those three shows I will listen to for a long time. 

I love how phantom forms their trademark emblem. My only wish is that they would do the emblem for Joanne and then morphed into the emblem for phantom instead of having 45 seconds of show between them. I think that would bring the house down for them. Still, it’s so cool to see them performing at the level we all remember them for.

I love how phantom forms their trademark emblem. My only wish is that they would do the emblem for Joan and then morph into the emblem for phantom instead of having 45 seconds of shell between them. I think that would bring the house down for them. Still, it’s so cool to see them performing at the level we all remember them for.

The bluecoats costume design is again the absolute state of the art. Just brilliant.

Props this year sort of fell flat across the board for me, except for blue Devils. I really don’t think that any other show use as props very well.

Overall, I think the best two shows will win gold and silver this year. They certainly are the two best designed it shows from beginning to end, and the performances are brilliant in every respect.

• Like 3

Cavies ballad is so far a clear #1 overall. Also really liked the first version of the all-rifle toss in the closer. This second version has less impact for me.

Bloo soloists.

BD's horn line marching clockwise within the circle of props.

BD's flag toss over the props.

Cavies paired flag tosses that are so well synched.

Almost all of Blue Stars drill. Who'd have thought marching in DCI would be a thing?

• Like 8

Since I’m going to Lawrence on Thursday, Allentown for the weekend, and Indy, I have a feeling my favorite moments will be yet to come!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Since I’m going to Lawrence on Thursday, Allentown for the weekend, and Indy, I have a feeling my favorite moments will be yet to come!

Me too.  

I am taking my husband to Buffalo and it will be his first time in that stadium since he played there for DCI finals...we have very up close and personal seats. He likes to have his face melted off 

I will be at Semifinals with my mom. She likes to sit up high for visuals. Judging from YouTube and Periscope we are both in for a big treat this year.

• Like 2

Here they are so far- a little broad 

SCVs opening brass lick- so powerful and something they have done so well the past few years

Eleanor Rigby 

All of BKs show. 

Crossmen entering the field and Valkyrie with the bones.

• Like 2

1.  Bluecoats- When the trumpet soloist hangs on during "Blackbird".  Absolutely blissful.  

2.  Crown's opening brass hit.  

3.  Blue Stars  use of "Vuelie" as part of their closer.  Beautiful melody, beautifully arranged and performed.

4.  Blue Knights -  The entire show.  It feels like a continuation of their amazing 2014 show "That One Second".

5.  The Academy -  The low brass entrance after the solo in "Bridge Over Troubled Water" gives me chill bumps. 

Edited by bluesman
clarity
  • Like 2

Tetherball.

• Haha 1

Pacific Crest - The entire intro gives me chills and sets the tone perfectly for the production. The sound design in the entire production is additive while not being the focus, which I love. I love how they manipulate the mellophone solo, as well as the delicate piano eighth notes leading into the trumpet solo.  The electronic transition into the closer is great as well (for some reason the voice reminds me of Lykke Li), and then they give us what I consider to be one of the most tasteful trombone solos I've heard in the activity over one of my favorite brass moments of the year.

Blue Knights - The snare ping at the end of the opening build stops my heart for a second. The entire opening build is in my top 3 favorite moments for the year.  The  drum book is an absolute clinic in tasteful writing. Jackson writes in such an unconventional way that ends up being the complete antithesis of the typical "ram" vibe you get from the activity.

Blue Devils - Absolutely love hearing Cycle Song on the field and think they did a terrific job with the arrangement.  I want more odd metered stuff in drum corps!

Phantom - Vox Populi intro to the closer with the batterie playing over the singing. #### YES.

Jersey Surf - Their entire show is a mood, and I'm here for it.

• Like 2