Annapolis, MD - Tuesday, July 30, 2019

9 hours ago, jmahone said:

So, to answer the anticipating question, we could not hear the Anthem. I knew when it was supposed to start, I know where the flag court is in the west end of the stadium, and it was sufficiently loud in the concourse under the stands that neither of us heard the Anthem. No one that I saw stopped for the Anthem, but I don't blame anyone since I don't think anyone could have heard it played. I have no idea who or what group played it.

I stand for the Anthem, always. I stop and stand in place for To the Colors at 5pm when I'm at a post.

This is Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, and more than a few Navy folks were there. We know how to respect the Flag.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Yeah on a Marine corps base (not that many) if you are driving you stop the stinking POV get out and face the colors and salute if you are in uniform - stand at attention if you are in civvies. I know Navy bases are pretty much the same. I tend to give civilians a break as you say because they are not either expecting it or in this case could not hear it. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, E3D said:

Yeah on a Marine corps base (not that many) if you are driving you stop the stinking POV get out and face the colors and salute if you are in uniform - stand at attention if you are in civvies. I know Navy bases are pretty much the same. I tend to give civilians a break as you say because they are not either expecting it or in this case could not hear it. 

Navy trivia (may have changed since I was in):  A Navy photographer is excused from rendering honors during the National Anthem if he/she is performing official duties at say a change of command ceremony. Don't recall if I saw anything like this and I played a LOT of change of commands.  That's just what I heard.

The Master Chief would often send me out to conduct the NA at the base hospital for Morning Colors. Of course, you don't salute while conducting, but after the last note, you face the flag and salute for the Band. 

Edit: If I was the photog, I'd probably take my pix and then salute when the Bandmaster did. 

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1