Do Cavaliers catch Crown?

This will be a nice thread to reply to after Finals. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I lurk on here quite a bit.  Just don't want to get involved in all of the banter.  

I went to the show in Murfreesboro last Friday and really came away with some interesting conclusions.  Especially after all of the dialog I've been reading about corps not marching and playing at the same time--the old "park and bark" thing.

Whoda thunk ya'll were talking about the Cavaliers!

This has been a pretty awesome season of competition, and Cavies have been smack in the middle of one of the year's hottest battles!

Sections: Cavies have three strong sections.  Crown and Boston both have one outstanding section, one great section, and one weaker section.  So far, Crown's guard has been stronger than Boston's percussion.  The math will be close between the three in execution.  Can Boston and Crown's superstar sections outweigh Cavies' balance?  Will Cavies' brass continue to climb?  

GE: Crown has gotten the least GE love from the judges this year.  Boston and Cavies have each bested the others in 3-way matchups.  If GE becomes a persistent deficit for Crown, then it could be the fatal blow.  Personally, I still see potential in Crown's design.  Of the three, I suspect Crown's designers aimed the highest, so am not counting them out yet.  

BAC Percussion: Huge question mark this season.  Boston is reaching high with the percussion book, yet execution has lagged.  Colin is easily among the best in the business.  If Boston can deliver greater clarity in percussion, they will be tough to beat with their strength in the other captions.  

West Coast Tour: Call me crazy, but I believe the Drum Corps Gods tend to smile on corps that travel the distance to attend the early west coast tour (Cadets 2011, Crown 2013).  Whether it's the early exposure to BD/SCV, or something else, Cavies have it this year.  

Looking forward to enjoying more of the great competition this year!  Best of luck/health to the MMs, volunteers, and staff members who have made such a great season possible for these corps.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SimonSays said:

I think there's a very high possibility that Crown and Cavies might flip flop like BD and Bloo in the last couple of shows before it's championship time. ...but on finals...Crown will come out on top of Cavies. by a slim margin. Crown hasn't peaked at all.They're scores are still increasing and at a higher and faster rate then the Cavies. I guess Cavies could them at finals, but I doubt it. There's also BAC to factor into it all as well. They just had the last three days without a show to clean. I wouldn't be surprised if they could jump ahead of Cavies tonight

This needs a fact check because you just wrote a straight up lie in here

• Like 4

The trend favors Cavaliers over Crown. The biggest indicator of trouble for CC are their GE numbers, which have been lagging overall corps placement often enough to warrant attention.

My guess is that Cavaliers squeak into the 4 spot on Saturday night, and they don't give it up next week. In terms of their closeness to SCV, yeah, no. There'll still be a 1.5 point gap on Finals night between 3rd and 4th.

Edited by Slingerland

Crown, yes. sCV, no. 

• Thanks 1