Chester, PA - Wednesday, July 31, 2019

51 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

This statement makes no sense.  I was at the show. No clue what weather they were talking about. I’m assuming the turf may have taken on some rain earlier in the day, but there was no change in the weather from when Cavies ended and Boston was supposed to start.  Crossmen and Cavies both had props on the field and moved.... 

The stadium is awesome but it appears as though the grass turf kept within its walls is made of rare, delicate, expensive blades found only in the purest windswept prairies of the world and is not to by touched by mere mortals. If DCI is going to continue its relationship with Talen, it would be nice to know exactly what their field stipulations and rules are so the fans forking over hundreds of dollars can better determine if they want to risk the chance of coming to see a standstill on a dry, mild, breezy evening again. 

Or they can simply change their refund policy. 

The field was fine to march on. It’s those heavy props that were sinking into the field because of the rain shortly before the show started. By the way, Boston was having trouble pushing them onto the field which is what prompted the discussion. 

I really did not notice a tangible difference between the Crossmen, Cavaliers and Surf props and those of BAC.  If a corps decides that it cannot move its props, then so be it.  Let them do an exhibition.  But if Vanguard and Cadets can, then let them do so.  I thi k this was absolutely only based on the decision by the stadium.  They saw the tracks from the early corps and then freaked out when they saw the BAC walls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

This statement makes no sense.  I was at the show. No clue what weather they were talking about. I’m assuming the turf may have taken on some rain earlier in the day, but there was no change in the weather from when Cavies ended and Boston was supposed to start.  Crossmen and Cavies both had props on the field and moved.... 

As I said earlier in the thread, we observed stadium personnel inspecting the field during the INT, which was after the Cavaliers.  They, apparently, didn't like what they saw.

• Like 1

Just now, barigirl78 said:

As I said earlier in the thread, we observed stadium personnel inspecting the field during the INT, which was after the Cavaliers.  They, apparently, didn't like what they saw.

Yep, and the grounds crew wasn’t just a couple people, either.  I knew when I saw those guys out there, basically inspecting the field with a microscope, we could be in for trouble.  

I will say, seeing BAC, SCV, and Cadets do standstills in THAT stadium, was aurally thrilling, especially from a percussion perspective!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

I really did not notice a tangible difference between the Crossmen, Cavaliers and Surf props and those of BAC. 

Seriously?  There are major differences between the three.  The Surf's props are basically just pictures of coral on what appears to be very lightweight material.  The Crossmen have circular platforms that are move around easily.  

The Cavaliers had that huge platform/stage and it looked heavy.  BAC's props looked even heavier and they are larger than anything Surf or Crossmen had.  

I'm really surprised that people are surprised/shocked this happened.  As props have gotten larger and heavier, it was inevitable.  Unfortunately, it happened at my first of only two live shows this year.   Intense, water-laden thunderstorms are becoming more and more common.  A 15-minute storm can dump loads of water.  I was driving down from Long Island and a storm came in while I was in Brooklyn.  Within 5 minutes, the highway had two inches of water.  It ended pretty quickly, but water doesn't evaporate when its cloudy and humid.

One question I do have:  Aren't artificial turf fields vulnerable AT ALL?  I can imagine that if a prop is heavy enough, it could do SOME damage?  But, I don't know much on the subject.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

I really did not notice a tangible difference between the Crossmen, Cavaliers and Surf props and those of BAC.  If a corps decides that it cannot move its props, then so be it.  Let them do an exhibition.  But if Vanguard and Cadets can, then let them do so.  I thi k this was absolutely only based on the decision by the stadium.  They saw the tracks from the early corps and then freaked out when they saw the BAC walls.

Cavaliers only prop on wheels never moves during the show. They roll it on and set it. Perform around it. And then roll it off. I’m wondering if perhaps BAC did indeed see issues with moving those walls around on a wet grass field. Or if the stadium officials had a issue with it. Or both. 

Regardless, it stinks. 

I am simply saying that each corps knows what it can do.  And just because one says it is a no, should not mean that everyone after should abide by the same decision.  That is why I think it was a decision by the venue.  That is all.  I could be wrong.  Would not be the first time!

16 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

I am simply saying that each corps knows what it can do.  And just because one says it is a no, should not mean that everyone after should abide by the same decision.  That is why I think it was a decision by the venue.  That is all.  I could be wrong.  Would not be the first time!

I'm thinking back to last season when BAC had the compass prop that they spun.  I spoke with someone after the show who speculated that perhaps Talen charged BAC with damages last year?

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Wonder if Boston's 4th quad was going to march tonight?  

I guess he lost his shot....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3