Chester, PA - Wednesday, July 31, 2019

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

This has gone off the rails.  We’re on the wrong side of the tracks. 

thats why i am avoiding the science stuff and dealing with stadium and stadium management topics.

• Like 3

I was going to take a couple photos when the grounds crew was in the field during INT, but I didn’t.  Like I said before, they were REALLY inspecting the grass with a fine-toothed comb.  They were clearly looking at specific areas of the field.

It sucks for the stadium.  Turf grass management is a complex science, and facilities pay top dollar for full-time experts to be in charge.  It costs money.  I don’t fault the stadium personnel for voicing concerns.

Obviously, it also sucks for the corps and the fans in attendance (myself included).  I was initially extremely mad.  But I calmed down as soon as Boston started to play, and SCV made me even more happy.  

The acoustics of that stadium will be missed.  If they can’t go back, I hope they find something close with similar sound.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG said:

That's actually DCP's new tag line.

42 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Rephrased

"I'm going to blow hard about a topic that shouldn't be discussed because I don't want it to be discussed. I broach these kinds of topics all the time, just like I'm doing now. But then I'm going to end it with something like 'Now, back to the drum corps conversation' so it looks like that's all I want to talk about. But when someone else brings it up again, I'll make another disparaging remark, because that's what I do. And I'll continue to pepper my posts with insults towards any (either individuals or groups) who have opinions different than mine."

Bless your heart. 

25 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG said:

That's actually DCP's new tag line.

Bless your heart. 

7 minutes ago, paulie1340 said:

That's two unbelievable debachles I've witnessed in Drum Corps shows,  last one was the "Moonlight Classic" at Sacramento State in 2012.  At intermission, there was an extended delay, the the announcer finally came on the PA and kindly asked everyone to leave the stadium, for safety reasons.  They couldn't get the stadium lights turned on, the organizers didn't get the key to the room where the switches were.  So each of SCVC, BDB, Phantom, BD and SVC all had to settle for a standstill in the parking lot by their respective buses. No scoring for anyone at the event.  That was the last of Sac State as the venue for The Classic.  All those ticketholders screwed.

Just reading through that show thread now. Geez, what a debacle that was.

Also, this is very off-topic, but I forgot how much different the Mandarins as a corps were back in 2012. (That was actually the last year I saw them live before 2018's Finals-making corps.)

5 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I was going to take a couple photos when the grounds crew was in the field during INT, but I didn’t.  Like I said before, they were REALLY inspecting the grass with a fine-toothed comb.  They were clearly looking at specific areas of the field.

It sucks for the stadium.  Turf grass management is a complex science, and facilities pay top dollar for full-time experts to be in charge.  It costs money.  I don’t fault the stadium personnel for voicing concerns.

Obviously, it also sucks for the corps and the fans in attendance (myself included).  I was initially extremely mad.  But I calmed down as soon as Boston started to play, and SCV made me even more happy.   Redacted for clarity.

The acoustics of that stadium will be missed.  If they can’t go back, I hope they find something close with similar sound.

A really good Boston show does that to folks. :w00t:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, paulie1340 said:

That's two unbelievable debachles I've witnessed in Drum Corps shows,  last one was the "Moonlight Classic" at Sacramento State in 2012.  At intermission, there was an extended delay, the the announcer finally came on the PA and kindly asked everyone to leave the stadium, for safety reasons.  They couldn't get the stadium lights turned on, the organizers didn't get the key to the room where the switches were.  So each of SCVC, BDB, Phantom, BD and SVC all had to settle for a standstill in the parking lot by their respective buses. No scoring for anyone at the event.  That was the last of Sac State as the venue for The Classic.  All those ticketholders screwed.

I remember that!  BAC was the last corps to perform in the DARK.  It was the year they ventured out to Cali.

I hope I am remembering the correct show...

Edited by Liahona

valuable things I am learning on this thread:

"Boston refused to move their props because they said they couldn't get a good enough grip to move their props around the field...."

"Cavilers" (misspelled on purpose) fans really really want that in the club house score that was posted on DCI.org and then taken down. 

It rained or it might not have rained around 3 hours prior to the start of the competition

The "Cavilers" destroyed the field. Thanks Cavies. 

Climate change Meteorological weather patterns is caused by US politics.

Boston's show is just so Dang good that it causes people to calm down. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Real turf and the activity don’t mix anymore 

Ding ding ding. So the powers that be are going to have to have a real hard look going forward about where to draw the line between allowing creative design and use of equipment versus placing more and more restrictions on the types of venues that can host events and whether it's a good idea to shrink the list of potential show sites solely for the sake of not stifling creativity in show design.

As for other/better venues in the area, UDel is probably the best option in the nearby area. ULafayette in Easton has a nice-sized facility with turf, but parking is pretty non-existent. It's a real pity that DCI will never be able to get back to Hersheypark Stadium anytime soon- that could be a great solution.

33 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Who pays for Scientific Reviews in your field may have a variance in what gets reviewed or published. Your field is riddled with Dark money from Pharma companies who want nothing more than to profit from the research. So I can understand your views on the politicization of what Science it like.

But I would venture to say that not all peer Reviewed science is like that.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/us/politics/climate-report-fact-check.html

I’m a restaurant consultant now lol