Lawrence, MA - Thursday, August 1, 2019

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

Just returned from Lawrence. A few thoughts:

Cascades: if 22nd is this good, that demonstrates the quality of the shows placing higher. I thought they did a great job and it is evident they enjoy their show.

Colts: drum corps version of Mr. Heat Miser/Mr. Snow Miser. They had a few uniform issues going from fire to ice but overall, what an incredible effect. I think they transition well musically from the raging flames to the cooler ice.  

Mandarins: they body movement is incredible, the show is riveting, and I’m sure I will notice more details in Allentown. I especially like the varied use of drums as the show begins.

Crown: I love you, but I don’t see how you won tonight. “Gabriel’s Oboe” May have been the most beautiful moment musically of the night, but what followed was a bit jumbled. I did enjoy the guard which I thought was on target. The drill had great moments and some that seemed confusing. 

Boston Crusaders: tonight was your night. I thought you would have won, but I’m not a percussion guy and that seems to be the weakness. The guard was flawless and the musical book has improved so much since East Coast Classic. I’m looking forward to Allentown with the three way battle between you, Cavies, and Crown.

looking at the recap music overall is the issue, they pretty much won everything else

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

Just returned from Lawrence. A few thoughts:

Cascades: if 22nd is this good, that demonstrates the quality of the shows placing higher. I thought they did a great job and it is evident they enjoy their show.

Colts: drum corps version of Mr. Heat Miser/Mr. Snow Miser. They had a few uniform issues going from fire to ice but overall, what an incredible effect. I think they transition well musically from the raging flames to the cooler ice.  

Mandarins: they body movement is incredible, the show is riveting, and I’m sure I will notice more details in Allentown. I especially like the varied use of drums as the show begins.

Crown: I love you, but I don’t see how you won tonight. “Gabriel’s Oboe” May have been the most beautiful moment musically of the night, but what followed was a bit jumbled. I did enjoy the guard which I thought was on target. The drill had great moments and some that seemed confusing. 

Boston Crusaders: tonight was your night. I thought you would have won, but I’m not a percussion guy and that seems to be the weakness. The guard was flawless and the musical book has improved so much since East Coast Classic. I’m looking forward to Allentown with the three way battle between you, Cavies, and Crown.

Great review, Tim!  👏👏👏👏🙌🙌🙌

• Like 1

There is not much more I can add to the great reviews already posted!  This was the kind of drum corps show we all dream about.  Perfect summer night.  Great lineup (from all parts of the country).  Awesome performances.  Very happy and responsive crowd!   

Thanks to all of the drum corps who traveled many miles to bring us their performances.  The activity's history runs very deep in this region, and I hope the performers got a sense of how appreciative this crowd was.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, craiga said:

You are correct.  LabMaster was just joking...

Yeah I was thinking it was a sarcastic post. but hey the score was improved. Keep it up DL! 

I have watched a few lot videos of the DL - I have some thoughts / opinion. 

There are parts that I have listened to that personally I do not like the book. BUT I am not saying the book is weak etc. I think the tightness could be cleaned up. Maybe that means dropping the level? I am not sure that would help. About the 10 snares. I am not a big fan of even number lines. But that is just me wanting that center snare! 

I know these members are working efficiently and aggressively to make progress with the score sheet. In the end they will enjoy this year and I look forward to growing with their fellow Giant's. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DCIat14 said:

Yes!!!   I love this photo so much and I can guarantee you every member of that corps was playing especially for every person standing on that track!  ••|•|•••

Photo choked me up! Love this Corps/organization.

I hear their morale is through the roof after Lawrence...good job all!! They do tend not to peak too early. Safe travels, Giants.

••|•|•••

• Like 4

On 8/2/2019 at 9:53 AM, wilme861 said:

Lol just no. A missing quad or snare will never affect a percussion score unless the line is used to listening to said individual for timing purposes or something like that which ends up causing problems. A missing bass might cause a lower score if the basses aren’t on it and clarity is lost and gaps are inconsistent. But generally speaking, gaps in the line don’t really affect the percussion scores but could affect the visual or GE stuff depending on how the gap is handled. Bringing back a 4th quad has a more likely chance of actually hurting the score just because there is one more person being added to a part so that increases the chances one can screw up.

It was a private joke with Ghost.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LabMaster said:

It was a private joke with Ghost.  

Figured as much but still said it in case other people had the same thoughts lol