Allentown, Field of Dreams

18 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Just to be clear, this is taken from the climactic moment of the movie 'Field of Dreams.' I realize that many if not most will have known this already, but a couple of comments on the DCP Facebook made me worry that perhaps some might have thought I wrote it myself and that I was representing it that way. I neglected to consider that many may never have seen or even heard of the movie. I simply adapted Terrence Mann's speech, as performed by James Earl Jones, because it sums up my feelings towards Allentown. I miss it. It's been too long.

And I see, reading through last year's Allentown Day 1 thread, that this is not the first time you've made such a reference.

• Like 1

As iconic as this show is,  I kinda miss the "prelims-finals" days... when you could get there at zero-dark-30, get a prelims ticket, run in as soon as the gates opened, and grab a prime-time seat on or near the 50-yard line. 

I did that three times... 1988, 1990, and 1992... and got to see several good corps I would have missed otherwise.

Question for anyone who might know this: When did it become J. Birney Crum Stadium? My first two years there with DCA... 1977-78... I believe it was called Allentown School District Stadium.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2019 at 1:43 PM, MotoSurfBass said:

No love for the Central Catholic Vikings?

They play there too?

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Hi, Fran !

ASD stadium became JBC Stadium in 1982.  By the way,  Joe Namath made his first professional football appearance here in an exhibition game.  

‘Roll Tide !

My dad was there