Cadets Alumni Corps?

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

November Birthday.

I also have a birthday in November.  I sent a student to march in Guardsmen during my 1st years of teaching.  

17 hours ago, jonwoody said:

Why am I getting the impression that  this organization is more disorganized than I thought? Did anyone stop to think about the announcement that was made months ago??

What's next? Oops we forgot to tell everyone that back flipping Jesus is making an appearance at finals along with Little Jeffery ???lmao.

You're just now realizing the disorganization extends beyond GH?  :P

I'm sure the Alumni Corps was well intentioned, but as Terri mentioned, it requires significant effort to coordinate.  

Edited by ykw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'll take an alumni Holy Bass any day of the week!

Holy Bass sounds like a freaking micro brewery brand name....

hey bro in law worked in one in N.C. that had Boss in the name and logo had a gorilla so go figure

Edited by JimF-LowBari

21 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s really, REALLY hard to pull these things together. It took two years or more to get the Royal-Airs reunion corps together and they were recruiting all alumni. Not just Royal-Airs.  And that was 2002.  I can only imagine that it's become more difficult to put these alumni groups together. 

Just my $.02 as a complete outsider. 

Agree. With things of this nature it takes at least 18 months, and usually closer to 2 or more years. I handled the bulk of the details (including the teaching and conducting) for a band program I was involved with back in the 70s/early 80s. We had not done a real alumni reunion concert before and alumni had been begging for it for years. The problem is often that people want these things, but few understand the time commitment, the process, and many don't want to get involved...they just want the end result. In the end we made it work and it was great fun! But it took a LONG time and a lot of work on my end, for sure. 

It probably is time for a Cadets (Garfield/Holy Name) reunion concert and marching performance (or stand still like Star of Indiana alumni). When I saw that announcement a while back I thought to myself "there is no way they have the time to put this together."  I was highly impressed with Madison, 27th Lancers, Star of Indiana, Cavaliers, and others that have successfully put together alumni corps. Blue Devils did an amazing job with a group that toured Europe a few years ago. But it is a really hard thing to do, and when most corps do not have but a few full-time employees you can imagine just how difficult that makes things. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

I don’t remember the announcement that they were going to appear, but I’m sorry they couldn’t make an announcement when it was canceled.

But, I am curious.  Why was this the responsibility of the corps and not the Alumni Association?

Crossmen Alumni did something two years ago.  We didn’t perform at the show, but in the Park for the current members and the Crossmen Hall of Fame ceremony.  

Not a single dollar was spent by the Crossmen.  In fact, we raised money FOR the corps.

That being said, it was Really hard to pull off.  Instructors volunteered.  Instruments were borrowed or purchased on E-bay by the participants themselves.

It wasn’t clear until Allentown weekend what our numbers would be because some people had to travel from Texas and other places and it was their first practice.  In the end, we did have 50-something horns and played two songs.

We didn’t Really promote it outside our organization.  It was intended to be a surprise for the current corps  

I hadn’t played in 30 years.  It was very satisfying  

• Like 2

Here it's hard enough to get 2 or 3 alums together to have a beer, let alone re-form a corps. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Here it's hard enough to get 2 or 3 alums together to have a beer, let alone re-form a corps. 

People used to bring up getting the corps I was in back together.  After I marched three years in my 40’s, I said don’t look at me.  My knees are dead from those three seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

People used to bring up getting the corps I was in back together.  After I marched three years in my 40’s, I said don’t look at me.  My knees are dead from those three seasons. 

It's a young person's game. I'll be happy to run the souvie stand from my air conditioned camper.  Just wake me up from my nap when it's time for the show to start. 

Image result for we're putting the band back together

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

I don’t remember the announcement that they were going to appear, but I’m sorry they couldn’t make an announcement when it was canceled.

But, I am curious.  Why was this the responsibility of the corps and not the Alumni Association?

Crossmen Alumni did something two years ago.  We didn’t perform at the show, but in the Park for the current members and the Crossmen Hall of Fame ceremony.  

Not a single dollar was spent by the Crossmen.  In fact, we raised money FOR the corps.

That being said, it was Really hard to pull off.  Instructors volunteered.  Instruments were borrowed or purchased on E-bay by the participants themselves.

It wasn’t clear until Allentown weekend what our numbers would be because some people had to travel from Texas and other places and it was their first practice.  In the end, we did have 50-something horns and played two songs.

We didn’t Really promote it outside our organization.  It was intended to be a surprise for the current corps  

I hadn’t  played in 30 years.  It was very satisfying  

I found the original announcement.

https://yea.org/news/introducing-85th-anniversary-cadets-alumni-corps

INTRODUCING THE 85TH ANNIVERSARY CADETS ALUMNI CORPS

Created on Tuesday, 08 Jan 2019 12:14:07

We are thrilled to announce that in 2019 we will be celebrating the 85th Anniversary of the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps along with 50 Years of Women in The Cadets.

As part of our celebration, we are happy to announce we will be organizing the 85th Anniversary Alumni Corps to perform this summer. We are also proud to announce alumnus Joe Reichert will be the Corps Director for the Alumni Corps. Joe is currently the Head Band Director for the Adamson High School Band in the Dallas Independent School District in Dallas, TX. He marched in the 1992 and 1993 Cadets, and was a Drum Major in 1995, serving on the Cadets instructional staff in 1997 and 1998.

"Let's make this a summer to remember," Joe said. "This is our chance to contribute to the future of this incredible organization that has given us all so much."

The alumni corps will perform alongside current members of The Cadets at events on June 15, July 2 and August 3, including DCI East. All alumni from any program from any year, under any name or era including The Cadets, Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen County, Cadets2, Cadets Winter Percussion and Cadets Winter Guard are encouraged to be a part of the corps. Members of any age and physical condition are welcome to be a part of the corps, whether you're a 14 year-old alum of Cadets2, a 23 year-old recent age out, a 45 year-old with a bad knee or an 85 year-old in a wheelchair, we encourage you to participate in our celebration of 85 years of Cadets.

The alumni corps will be entirely self-funded and membership will include tickets to a Cadets home show, discounted tickets for friends and family, meals and more. For more information, including how to sign up, membership fees and what uniforms the corps will be wearing, click the button below!

• Like 1

So if that was the first announcement they expected first performance 5 months later in June. Wonder where equipment was coming from.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1