Cadets Alumni Corps?

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder where equipment was coming from.

You don't need equipment for ballet, modern dance and fresh, pop, hip-hop.   

You didn't think they were going to play brass instruments did you?!?  That's so passé.

• Haha 1

Honestly they really are missing a potentially big opportunity to focus the attention of the drum corps world on them in a positive way.  And even without performing here this year, they should really put something together for next year's Finals in Indy and in Allentown.  Celebrating the corps's history in a big way like that can help push it foward.  I just keep thinking of how huge the response was to SCV's alumni corps in Indy.  The Cadets deserve that kind of moment too.

• Like 2

Was a rehearsal schedule ever announced? Thinking of 5 months notice and not even sure if I would have time to get my work and personal schedule reset in 5 months.

Anyone have a vid of Lewis Black doing his heads about to explode shake? The more I think about it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So if that was the first announcement they expected first performance 5 months later in June. Wonder where equipment was coming from.

I find it hard to believe that this announcement was the first discussion of it.  From my experience doing it for the Crossmen, it was noodled around on the Crossmen Alumni Facebook page for a while to see what the interest was before the "go" signal happened.  We practiced once a month starting in November.

Isn't there a Cadets Alumni Page and didn't they discuss it before announcing?

• Like 3

On 8/1/2019 at 7:08 PM, East9900 said:

When GH was director, he wanted to field an alumni corps that was similar to what SCV did a few years ago. Times change and instead it became something much less. If it would have been similar to what SCV had done, I think people would have been doing whatever possible to make it happen. Instead, I think many weren't going to commit to traveling a few times for a stand still performance of a few tunes in their corps jackets.

I am disappointed that it could not have been used to show corps strength. These things don't just require lots of time, but lots of money, and money that The Cadets just couldn't afford right now. I do feel the admin was a bit disorganized and didn't do enough sooner. They are still having a rough time getting stuff together, but I do think they will get things fixed sooner rather than later.

I'll say this: WHEN The Cadets reach their 100th year anniversary, they had better pull out all the stops and make it incredible.

To be fair, putting on an alumni corps really should not be on the shoulders of the admin.  They actually have a junior corps to run.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

My ageout was ‘79.  November Birthday.

1979 Guardsmen, right? 10th in prelims, 7th place at finals, the highest finals placement for the G-Men, and beat Madison. The 1979 Guardsmen horn line and color guard were absolutely outstanding. This is one of my favorite drum corps shows of all time, with the "Fanfare For The New" opener just amazing. I cant find the 1979 finals recap, but I believe the Guardsmen horn line finished either 3rd or 4th in horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Il141WjRgI

6 hours ago, FlamMan said:

1979 Guardsmen, right? 10th in prelims, 7th place at finals, the highest finals placement for the G-Men, and beat Madison. The 1979 Guardsmen horn line and color guard were absolutely outstanding. This is one of my favorite drum corps shows of all time, with the "Fanfare For The New" opener just amazing. I cant find the 1979 finals recap, but I believe the Guardsmen horn line finished either 3rd or 4th in horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Il141WjRgI

I didn’t march my ageout. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Scroll down to Finals.         http://www.fromthepressbox2.com/1979recaps.htm

So, the alumni corps never happened, because it was poorly organized and poorly advertised to the alumni.

The planning started at least year ago or more, but no one could get any information, because the Facebook group was pretty much abandoned by the person they chose to run the alumni corps.

The alumni was not asked for input and someone decided to make it a multiple weekend performance and I think a dozen people signed up? If that, Maybe? Most could not afford to do multiple weekends or couldn’t get away for whatever reason.

There’s way more, but I’ll just leave it at that. Lol