Allentown, PA - Friday, August 2, 2019

Recaps:

I think BD is too high in GE, and SCV is too low. Neither of them should be scoring above 94/95 imo though. 

I'm not really qualified to speak on visual, but I didn't think that SCV was that far back. Repertoire maybe, they don't move a ton, but their achievement seemed okay. BD rep should be lower imo, achievement is fine. 

Brass: Absolutely not. BD's brass was easily the worst of the top three, and I think Bloo had a bad night soloistically (although SCV had some blips as an ensemble). 

Music Analysis: Meh. I think BD should be lower in rep. 

Percussion: Wrong. I'll give SCV first, but BD's front ensemble was horrific, and their battery took half the show to get clean. Meanwhile, Bloo's pit was crispy, and their battery only threw away one or two licks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Mics or not, soloists fracking, trumpets being out of tune, still comes through in the box. Yet it was rewarded...

All I can say is that watching Atlanta online, there were things that I thought were just awful that did not strike me at all live in Murfreesboro.  So I hear you and agree, but I don't know what those guys are hearing in the stadium.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Can't speak to any of top 3 performances since I could not watch due to FLO but, BD was only .225 behind Bloo so it's not a big win. Have to review recaps.

Good lord, is that what we’re doing now? Sheesh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Crazy theory time:

SCV just may have opened the door for one of the 4-6 corps to "pass" them tomorrow night.

Maybe. But not enough to take SCV out of the 3 slot for Thursday.

• Like 2

Just now, Treefidy said:

Mics or not, soloists fracking, trumpets being out of tune, still comes through in the box. Yet it was rewarded...

Not the same.  Just isn't.  Intonation and articulation isn't perceived the same way live, with ambiance.

Internet viewing and archive videos are a poor substitute for the moment... warts and all.

I remember watching Ferguson fracking all over the place at a live performance when I was a kid.  It was...

AWESOME!!!  Real.

Where I live, I get to catch the Eastman Wind Ensemble with regularity.  Mistakes/imperfections every single performance.

It's fantastic.  Wouldn't trade real life for anything.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

Not the same.  Just isn't.  Intonation and articulation isn't perceived the same way live, with ambiance.

Internet viewing and archive videos are a poor substitute for the moment... warts and all.

I remember watching Ferguson fracking all over the place at a live performance when I was a kid.  It was...

AWESOME!!!  Real.

Where I live, I get to catch the Eastman Wind Ensemble with regularity.  Mistakes/imperfections every single performance.

It's fantastic.  Wouldn't trade real life for anything.

I'm so jealous!  Next time you go hear Eastman, stop by the trombone section and say hi to my friend and former student Sophie.

• Like 1

I just have to say that regardless of scores...because all of that is ephemeral, especially at shows that aren't Finals, we are so lucky that we get to experience such an amazing lineup of corps. Thank you, drum corps!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1