Allentown, PA - Friday, August 2, 2019

7 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

I hate the format of Allentown?  Why do they split it into two nights? Is it just tradition, or is there some other reason? I think the fact that judges have to leave room for the corps performing tomorrow leads to some funky stuff with the scoring that we don't see when everyone is judged together. Unfortunate that it has to happen right before Indy.

Monetization

2 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

True, I was more referring to SCV being that far behind Bloo. The MA scores are interesting, one seem to line up to what most of us perceived, while the other stuck to the status quo.

One is a percussion judge and the other is a Brass judge, looking at the same thing.

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

With almost everyone saying a rough night for Stars they are sitting pretty with that score and how great BK was. 

BK beat the Stars last year the last weekend before Indy. We know how it turned out in the end. In my opinion, Blue Stars have a little more going for them than the Blue Knights. I think next Saturday the placements are flipped. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

No,

Maybe, just maybe, I show about counter-culture that is pretty much just a repeat of last year's winning show(Monochrome corps uniforms with bright colorful guard, Loud Staccato opener, Jazzy Rock Ballad with super squeak trumpet, Dance break Drum Feature, and Brass Band Closer with a romantic melody,) shouldn't be scoring well in GE because a show about counter-culture shouldn't be aping from what worked and people loved. It doesn't make any sense thematically.

I'm mostly just venting (and trolling). But if what you say is true, why didn't the other judges see that earlier in the season? The scores have been much tighter at previous shows than they were tonight.

• Like 1

I think these scores can be a tiny bit misleading just because the other 3 (Crown, Boston and Cavies) aren't in the mix. Just as an example, look at the recaps from Atlanta and Nightbeat when all six were together last. Harper in Brass at Nightbeat had the achievement scores as 8.900, 9.000, 9.050, 9.100, 9.200 and 9.250. These corps are so tight that they HAVE to get into the hundredths of points if the judges aren't going to go to a tie. The judges tonight don't have to resort to that tonight really as they aren't having to force corps into small gaps in the score just to make sure their rankings are correct. They can be a bit more open with their scoring, which is why you see almost no hundredths of a point in tonights recap.

I think that's one of the reasons why SCV is just a bit low because I refuse to believe they've joined the mix for 4th place...

Oh and Bluecoats need to keep those visual scores tight to BD! That's the key to the title for them!

• Like 2

BD and BC thoroughly deserve to be 1 and 2 irrispective or the order. Exciting 2 horse race next week

It will be a great nail biting finals 

• Like 3

Just now, INT72 said:

Next time you're at eastman, go up to that tick and say, "Awesome, thanks for keeping it real." I'm sure any professional would love that.

Any professional that is 'A professional' knows that they are real.  They take accolades knowing that they are not perfect.

It's called humility.

I'm not familiar with the type of professionalism that you seem to be speaking to.

• Like 1

Biggest story of the night is .250 difference in GE between Bluecoats and BD.

I’d say BD’s chances of catching the Bluecoats in Indy is slim to none.  Bluecoats will sail right through to next Saturday night. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Haha 1

I can chalk up the "incorrect" Blue/Bloo order tonight to the judging panel or whatever, but I can't wrap my head around SCV being THAT far behind the blues 🥴

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mead09 said:

BD and BC thoroughly deserve to be 1 and 2 irrispective or the order. Exciting 2 horse race next week

It will be a great nail biting finals 

More than any other year, I would be so ok with a tie mostly just because I'd like to see both again.  It's like trying to judge between Berlin Philharmonic and Chicago Symphony.  Who cares?  They're awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1