Allentown, PA - Friday, August 2, 2019

2 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

If he nails it, he gets the applause. if he doesn't, he can play it for camp. Win-win

He played it perfectly for over half the season.  Could he be losing his lips or losing his confidence?

Unrelated to popular topic, I am really rooting for Genesis. They are up and coming and I believe they are a finalist corps roughly 5 years from now.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 2

Sitting in my hotel, just returned from Allentown. My thoughts:

Music  City’s show is enjoyable, and many clever small details have been added, but it needs more impact, especially in the opener. I thought that “Imagine” was their strongest moment.

Genesis has a good show this year and I thought it shows maturity. 

I enjoyed really enjoyed Madison tonight. It is not Madison of yesteryear, but it has some enjoyable moments. It’s not a top 12 show and I thought the score was appropriate, but it was an audience favorite, at least in my section.

I appreciate Troopers are trying something new. The musical portion was good, but visually the uniforms are bland and the color guard did little to add to the show through much of the performance. 

Academy performed after the extended intermission due to the delay. They seemed to have amplification issues. I thought “Bridge Over Troubled Waters” was well done, and thought the “London Bridge/Bridge Over a troubled Waters” was clever. It is not as powerful or creative as some of their more recent shows, but it was a good performance.

Blue Knights had a very strong performance. The show theme was a bit heavy, but they know how to use their power as well as nuances well. 

I found Blue Stars show congested. It had moments, but I found it hard to follow. I’m thinking they could be vulnerable, perhaps 10th or 11th this year. 

Blue Devils were amazing. There are so many parts of the show that catch you by surprise. The guard is very strong and seemed on target tonight. 

SCV’s show is fast paced, and they do what they do well, I’m not sure I know what it all means. I don’t see them placing below third, but I don’t see them catching BD or Bloo either. 

It was Bloo’s night, no question. It started s but slow but quickly caught fire. The “Hey Jude” ending adds so much.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Top 3 live all incredible, tho shocked scv so far behind. Academy abuses bass drops, blue stars and Madisynth win high goo. Genesis a pleasant surprise.

i know people say Allentown hates BD but nope, not tonight!!

any of the top3  could win and I’m ok with that 

I agree Blue Devils were well received tonight. When BD won against Crown in 2012 and 2013, the audience was very vocal with their displeasure, but tonight the crowd loved them, especially the guard. I think in general, if they place 2nd, people are happy. If they place first, a great deal depends on how close favorites such as Crown or Cadets are to winning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

Mics or not, soloists fracking, trumpets being out of tune, still comes through in the box. Yet it was rewarded...

I was sitting right up where the judges were, and I couldn't hear a lot over the pit and synths, so not sure it came through.. directly mic'd soloists sure, but there were things I was definitely listening for that I knew were there from Flo viewings that I had to struggle to pick out over the insanely loud amps. Even SCV when the screamers do their thing - the only one I could hear was the last guy that missed because the pit stops playing.. but the 8 measure build up (G, G->B, D->G, then top guy) was almost inaudible live. At least to me.

1 hour ago, 27Socal said:

SCV was out by .4 in vis cont and out by . 3 in VA comp.   Could it have something to do with all the "non marching" in the show?

Watched the high Cam in flo and SCVs marching especially intervals are not good so if they are down in visual I am not shocked 

6 hours ago, Algernon said:

Dear Lord! There must be some adults in charge of Encorps....please spend less time on cheesy voice overs and acting and more teaching the kids how to play in tune.

That was god awful

Thank you for the feedback. We'll keep that in mind when designing next year's program

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jordsterr said:

I'm with you. I was really referring to the two Blues.  I'm afraid SCV is a 3rd place island 

Judges to me have made that loud and clear tonight. Nothing SCV can do to move up, it's a battle between BD and Bloo for gold. The Vanguard organization should be proud of their defense of the title. Took a chance with this design and the kids performed the hell out of it.

I look forward to what they come up with next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

And remain close in visual.  They can't afford to roll under 3rd in any visual subcaptions.

Very true