Allentown, PA - Friday, August 2, 2019

11 hours ago, Tony L. said:

So I am actually shocked that BlueStars are as close as they were tonight to BK.  I would have had them closer to 2 points behind BK. That show has reached its peak.

It's clean and the sound is wonderful -- just a great brass line and a guard that's superb -- but it's not really compelling content. In any particular moment, they're very strong. But the total is less than the sum of the parts. I have no problem with their music and visual scores; but their GE seems overvalued at the moment, IMO

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

(You realize I agree with you, yes?)

Some people are just not socially aware enough to identify sarcasm 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Well, I read that the panel has nothing to do with it.....

Quote the passage that says that.  I'll save you some time, it isn't there.

You can't take what I said, then add your interpretation of what I said, then put words in my mouth.  You may certainly quote my words but don't add anything to it.  I am more than capable of speaking for myself.

I think it's disrespectful to the corps members to tell them that after all their work and practice that their effort doesn't matter, it's all about the judges.  You win with the judging system in place, or you lose.  You don't blame others for your losses.

Whichever corps wins this year, it will be because they earned it on the field. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I'd like to know specifically what's been happening with the Cadets show since the tour came out of Texas. For all the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pages on multiple threads devoted to their supposed collapse, they're on a trajectory to score something like 94 tonight.

No I don't think so lol

25 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You can't take what I said, then add your interpretation of what I said, then put words in my mouth.  You may certainly quote my words but don't add anything to it.  I am more than capable of speaking for myself.

I think it's disrespectful to the corps members to tell them that after all their work and practice that their effort doesn't matter, it's all about the judges.  You win with the judging system in place, or you lose.  You don't blame others for your losses.

Whichever corps wins this year, it will be because they earned it on the field. 

It’s well know that certain judges, and one in particular, has consistently awarded higher than average scores to a particular corps. This is true over many years. Given the small spreads between the top three, that’s gonna matter.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

It’s well know that certain judges, and one in particular, has consistently awarded higher than average scores to a particular corps. This is true over many years. If you don’t think that happens then you simply don’t watch this activity closely enough. If that judge is working Finals, given the small spreads between the top three, that corps is likely to win.

That may be true but it's not well known to me. 

I would certainly concede that I don't follow judges or their history of scoring drum corps.  If you do, I would concede to your more extensive knowledge but it still doesn't mean I agree with it. I've never been big on "appeals to authority" as I prefer to listen with an open mind to all sides then make up my own mind.  I have been watching drum corps live since 1979.  I don't know if I meet your criteria of "watching the activity closely enough."  I don't know everything.

The concern I have is how to we know this judge is scoring a certain corps too high?  How do we know the other judges aren't scoring them too low?  I'm speaking rhetorically, the question isn't meant to be answered.

Let me put the same argument out from a corps member's point of view:  Let's say someone marches BD and they win.  I think it is 100% wrong to say "you didn't win that championship, a judge unfairly gave you the title."  What must that marching member think?  That his victory is cheap or undeserved?

I will maintain that member earned his title on the field of battle and I will accept no amount of excuse making from others who try to cheapen his accomplishments.

Edited by wvu80
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Maybe. But also BK. BK passed 87 on July 26, and they're barely a point higher after last night -- despite visual and GE that is, to my eye, much sharper and potent that it was even in Atlanta. BK has been gathering points by teaspoons.

Pretty much the same for Stars. They hit 87 on July 24, and have bounced since, finally popping beyond 87 last night. Teaspoons.

Meanwhile, Cadets have been gathering points by the bucketful. 84 on July 24, and 88+ on July 30. Cadets haven't had a judged show since July 30.

I'd like to know specifically what's been happening with the Cadets show since the tour came out of Texas. For all the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pages on multiple threads devoted to their supposed collapse, they're on a trajectory to score something like 94 tonight.

Who's got the insight to explain it?

If they score north of 88/89 today that would be great 

after weeks of changes they’ve moved nto major cleaning mode which has helped - the field in PA they’ve been practicing on looks like a drill book it has so many sets spray painted on it

Re that 7/30 score I thought it was a little high- the show while improved is still a dud 

Edited by George Dixon