Allentown, PA - Friday, August 2, 2019

I love everything about that BD show except the sousaphone. 

1 minute ago, bluesman said:

I really like the 2nd half of Devils show, but the 1st half is a big miss for me.

Heh. Other way around for me.

Next to the press box, side 1 40.

Blue Devils:

They have some good soloists. Holistically, though, their brass just isn't as crisp as I have come to expect from them. Normally I am completely mesmerized by the bright and shiny sound of their high brass; tonight, they felt muddy. Their mellows and baris also felt somewhat unfocused. 

There is too much reliance on electronic melody. I don't mind electronic effects, when there is no acoustic way to get them, but in my opinion there should not be extended periods where there is nothing but synthesized sounds providing melody, accompaniment, and effects. 

The front ensemble was sloppy. No real excuse here. Battery seemed okay, bass feature early was not clean, but the drum line cleaned up as the show went on. 

Thematically I have no clue what is going on. There's no cohesion or explanation for why the design elements that are in the show were chosen. 

Edited by pudding
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Nice BD, it may not keep me in its entirety but I love some of the pieces that are being played including the shoe tapping feature which imo is probably the most innovative thing I've seen in dci this year

posted from the DrumScorps app

Let's go Santa Clara!!:thumbup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The way they use the one arm in yellow is very effective.  Little things mean a lot. 

They usually do an accent color in the red, purple, pink family but I really like the yellow this year, for a change. That one yellow evening glove.😁

• Like 2