Allentown, PA - Friday, August 2, 2019

The bump we all mostly perceived from SCV show itself in the Music Analysis 1 with SCV 1st and 3rd in MA2. Those judges watched different shows. The percussion scores are tightening. There is a pathway for BD to overtake SCV, BD beat SCV in content. But the visual/GE will doom SCV from repeating. Like I said before, for Bloo to take the title, they need to keep that GE gap to BD and beat BD in Music. 

Just now, jasgre2000 said:

I hate the format of Allentown?  Why do they split it into two nights? Is it just tradition, or is there some other reason? I think the fact that judges have to leave room for the corps performing tomorrow leads to some funky stuff with the scoring that we don't see when everyone is judged together. Unfortunate that it has to happen right before Indy.

It's not that it really matters in the end.  The finals format is 3 competitions.  It works out just fine after prelims, no matter the initial order.

Just now, ThePlanets said:

Bloo has to watch those content scores for GE and visuals.

SCV running 4th overall in brass doesn't seem right. But I didn't see the performance.

I've only seen SCV live one time this season.  Brass is exciting.....but loud.  It's possible to get too hyped for your own good.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jordsterr said:

I don't think so.  It seems like whichever of the two go on last gets the nod.  They're both so strong, and they both have enormous amounts to credit.

True, I was more referring to SCV being that far behind Bloo. The MA scores are interesting, one seem to line up to what most of us perceived, while the other stuck to the status quo.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Not the same.  Just isn't.  Intonation and articulation isn't perceived the same way live, with ambiance.

Internet viewing and archive videos are a poor substitute for the moment... warts and all.

I remember watching Ferguson fracking all over the place at a live performance when I was a kid.  It was...

AWESOME!!!  Real.

Where I live, I get to catch the Eastman Wind Ensemble with regularity.  Mistakes/imperfections every single performance.

It's fantastic.  Wouldn't trade real life for anything.

Next time you're at eastman, go up to that tick and say, "Awesome, thanks for keeping it real." I'm sure any professional would love that.

Just now, Jeffe77 said:

The bump we all mostly perceived from SCV show itself in the Music Analysis 1 with SCV 1st and 3rd in MA2. Those judges watched different shows. The percussion scores are tightening. There is a pathway for BD to overtake SCV, BD beat SCV in content. But the visual/GE will doom SCV from repeating. Like I said before, for Bloo to take the title, they need to keep that GE gap to BD and beat BD in Music. 

And remain close in visual.  They can't afford to roll under 3rd in any visual subcaptions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Maybe. But not enough to take SCV out of the 3 slot for Thursday.

It might take them out of third tomorrow, though.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Not buying Blue Stars' higher ranking in GE over BK. BK content and achievement has a much more powerful connection to an idea, and is communicated much more clearly, to say nothing of emotionally. The Stars look and sound wonderful, and deserve their visual and music scores, but overall their program is Generic Drum Corps by comparison to BK. My opinion.

. . . and upon further review, perhaps BS would take exception to BK's win in color guard achievement subcap. These two corps -- and where will Cadets fall tomorrow? Their last score was an 88.3, after all -- need to be strong across the board, because is seems it's going to come down to which judges they get.

BK definitely has the edge in music.

I would say BS has a clear lead in visuals but the 2 corps were kind of back and forth in GE and visual for judges. 

Just now, Jeffe77 said:

True, I was more referring to SCV being that far behind Bloo. The MA scores are interesting, one seem to line up to what most of us perceived, while the other stuck to the status quo.

I'm with you. I was really referring to the two Blues.  I'm afraid SCV is a 3rd place island