TOP 7: Aesthetic vs Intellectual vs Emotional, how would you rate em'?

I like that these three words appear on the GE sheets as part of the design criteria. Every component of the production, designed and performed, falls under one, two, and at times all three categories. I think the best shows try to get an equal dose of all three placed within the production, with "Emotional" eventually carrying the most value in my opinion. That said, not every corps has the same approach, nor the same personality. One of these three might steer the ship more than another depending on the corps, the theme, etc. 

In my trying to rationalize what is missing in SVC's show this season, I have come to several conclusions, including the lack of the Emotional. 

So, how would you rate each of the top 7 in the these three components of design on a scale of 1–10. I included the top six of course, but BK as well because while I know some do not have an emotional response to the program, I do- demonstrating that humans make the scoring decisions and all humans perceive things differently. Adding the score of each of the three of course does not determine a ranking. How you manipulate these three things more determines that. 

BLOO: Aesthetic=10, Intellectual=9, Emotional= 10

BD: Aesthetic=9, Intellectual=10, Emotional= 8

SCV: Aesthetic=7, Intellectual=9, Emotional= 6

CC: Aesthetic=8, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 7

BC: Aesthetic=8, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 8

CAVIES: Aesthetic=9, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 10

BK: Aesthetic=6, Intellectual=9, Emotional= 10

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'll play. 

BLOO: Aesthetic=9, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 10

BD: Aesthetic=10, Intellectual=10, Emotional= 8

SCV: Aesthetic=6, Intellectual=9, Emotional= 5

CC: Aesthetic=7, Intellectual=7, Emotional= 6

BC: Aesthetic=7, Intellectual=7, Emotional= 7

BK: Aesthetic=6, Intellectual=9, Emotional= 9

• Like 1

Good topic! Interesting. Had to add Fancy Regiment!

BLOO: Aesthetic=10, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 10

BD: Aesthetic=8, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 7

SCV: Aesthetic=6, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 6

CC: Aesthetic=8, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 8

CAVIES: Aesthetic=9, Intellectual=9, Emotional= 10

BK: Aesthetic=6, Intellectual=9, Emotional= 8

PR: Aesthetic=6, Intellectual=7, Emotional=9

8 minutes ago, tigger2 said:

I like that these three words appear on the GE sheets as part of the design criteria. Every component of the production, designed and performed, falls under one, two, and at times all three categories. I think the best shows try to get an equal dose of all three placed within the production, with "Emotional" eventually carrying the most value in my opinion. That said, not every corps has the same approach, nor the same personality. One of these three might steer the ship more than another depending on the corps, the theme, etc. 

In my trying to rationalize what is missing in SVC's show this season, I have come to several conclusions, including the lack of the Emotional. 

So, how would you rate each of the top 7 in the these three components of design on a scale of 1–10. I included the top six of course, but BK as well because while I know some do not have an emotional response to the program, I do- demonstrating that humans make the scoring decisions and all humans perceive things differently. Adding the score of each of the three of course does not determine a ranking. How you manipulate these three things more determines that. 

Well I am an engineer by profession and I love numbers, but in this case I will use a few words to rate top three:

Bloo - feel good on Emotional, Intellectual and Aesthetic  Its an all around "feel good" show.

BD - feel good on I and A.

SCV - feel good about I.

Love me some numbers too! Added a few others. 

BLOO: Aesthetic=10, Intellectual=10, Emotional= 10

BD: Aesthetic=8, Intellectual=10, Emotional= 7

SCV: Aesthetic=5, Intellectual=9, Emotional= 6

CC: Aesthetic=7, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 7

CAVIES: Aesthetic=10, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 10

BK: Aesthetic=8, Intellectual=9, Emotional= 9

CREST: Aesthetic=10, Intellectual=7, Emotional=8   I really dig this show. New kid on the block? soon?

STARS: Aesthetic=8, Intellectual=6, Emotional=7     Dig this one too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigger2 said:

I like your analysis. I would probably rate BD and Crown a little lower on the emotional scale and I would argue that BD is going for a 10 in aesthetics.

I love that you included BK in this. They have one of the most intellectual, emotional shows put on the field in year. 

I just wish Crown and SCV had made better costume choices. I know I keep talking about this every year, but in the current era of show design direction, it makes no sense to just go bland and monochromatic. Color is one of the five main senses, and on a massive football field, the use of color as a design element is critical to communicating design intent. 

We seem to have bought into Z index...and yet the most obvious design element there is still so often gets lost.

• Like 2

This does show how subjective judging is in this activity. Of course the training on how to use the sheets and the value of a tenth when using those sheets to assign a numerical value to art should lead to reasons for a judges' ranking sand ratings.  I also wonder about how placements aim the designers. If you want to win, design like the winners- but using your own brand. This makes designers either re-invent themselves, or move out of the way for younger designers that may be more affected by current trends in the activity. I remind myself and other fans  that the current generation of performers DO NOT want to do an old school show. AND, old school to them means the same as it did to me when I marched- old school 5+ years ago.

My take for Ss and Gs: 

BD: Aesthetic=7, Intellectual=10, Emotional= 7

SCV: Aesthetic=6, Intellectual=8, Emotional= 6

CC: Aesthetic=9, Intellectual=7, Emotional= 7

BK: Aesthetic=7, Intellectual=9, Emotional= 9

And for my poor Cadets, too many aspects of all three just didn't get taken care of in the off season.

Cadets: Aesthetic=5, Intellectual=4, Emotional= 4   It just wasn't an idea that could inspire pageantry design in 2019. Inspire social discussion, human rights, a TED talk, etc, sure. 

14 minutes ago, cadetzoid said:

And for my poor Cadets, too many aspects of all three just didn't get taken care of in the off season.

Cadets: Aesthetic=5, Intellectual=4, Emotional= 4   It just wasn't an idea that could inspire pageantry design in 2019. Inspire social discussion, human rights, a TED talk, etc, sure. 

. . . and yet . . . and yet, Cadets look like they are in a solid position to head into finals week ranked ahead of BK (and Stars, for that matter). With GE being the single largest factor on the sheets, it can't be all percussion and clean drill . . . or can it?