Allentown, PA - Saturday, August 3, 2019

44 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I just said the EXACT same thing on another thread. JBC was silent!

That’s because the JBC crowd is the best  most knowledgeable drum corps  crowd anywhere 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Weird to see Mandarins get a penalty, as there haven't really been any in DCI since 2015 Championships

Anyone know what the 0.5 penalty was for?

24 minutes ago, drumcorps74 said:

Anyone know what the 0.5 penalty was for?

Earlier in the thread someone said it was for entering the field too early. Might know more tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Thank you from a resident of Yorktown.

Yorktown is a great town! We love visiting the "historic triangle" region.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Another great show in Allentown. “They” all sat near me tonight. In front of me was the “Drum Corps died when the Chicago Royalaires disbanded” guy. Next to me, a kid who aged out last year who had no idea Drum corps existed before he marched. And of course Jeff Ream’s favorite: the band kids who claim their shows are  better than those on the field sat behind me, and Mr. Clover, whoever you may be, your young charges claim you were consulted by every corps who placed 1st. through 10th, and maybe Cascades and Surf too, but your young charges were late. And you should sue BAC, Crown, Cavies, Crossmen, and Mandarins. They stole your ideas.

Cascades: they had the tough job of opening the show. I think their show is good, and it should be strong enough to make semi’s. 

Jersey Surf: I’ve said before, Surf needs a show that keeps the marching members engaged and this show fits the bill. The switch of uniforms was flawless. 

Pacific Crest: A change of pace for PC. I found the show to be strong, especially the brass. 

Colts: seemed off tonight. The uniform change was a bit sloppy and at some points they did not seem engaged, at least compared with what I saw in Lawrence a few nights ago. 

Spirit of Atlanta: the show is similar to last year in that it is good, but not quite strong enough for finals. I did enjoy the three different uniforms.  

Phantom: they have worked hard this year and it shows. It is not a Phantom show from yesteryear and a great deal needs to be done for Phantom to be a major player, no question, but they have improved what they have and deserve credit for that. 

Crossmen: this was my first time seeing them this year and I enjoyed them more than I expected. It’s a fast paced show and the guard was amazing. I also thought the drum major had quite a bit of personality. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Crossmen and Phantom give each other a run for their money in Indy.

Mandarins: a solid performance. I thought the story telling details came across better this evening which I missed in Lawrence, perhaps because it is a busy show. 

Cadets: they have been busy over the past few days. I’ll have to admit when I first saw the hats, I thought “Mad Hatter” but in the show they worked well. I do wish the “We Can Do Better” was just a drum solo. It worked for me earlier in the season, but less so now. However, what I did feel was an energy. Cadets will get the most from that show they can. I don’t think it’s impossible for them to hold on to 7th ahead of Blue Knights and Blue Stars.

Cavies, Crown, and BAC all had great runs. I did think the scores should have been closer, within a point. Cavies were as I expected: a solid show that is strong overall. I found Crown’s show uneven on Thursday but thought after last night’s show they could catch SCV which I think most of us thought would be Cavies or BAC. BAC tells their story better than anyone, and where the top three were so good, placement could have gone in any way, but being nearly a full point behind Cavies and over a point with Crown is hurting them. 

All those people will be sitting behind me in Indy, Tim! 😂 

Great review!  Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The difference between 3 through 6 is almost negligible, save Boston’s guard. It appears gold and silver will be between BC and BD, and we can all celebrate the fact that whomever wins the gold will have again set a high bar for next year.

• Like 9