Allentown, PA - Saturday, August 3, 2019

34 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

If you do, then finals becomes mostly meaningless.

The caption awards are almost always decided by Friday night. In just 5 short days, you'll be reading something like "Unless BD can beat SCV by 0.4 in drums on Saturday night, SCV has won another Sanford".

Saturday night would be a lot less exciting if the same were true of 10 of 12 finalists.

Caption awards should be weighted by night. 

Prelims should be credited with 20%, semis with 30%, and finals with 50%. This will reward corps who finish the season strong but will also deter one judge from deciding caption awards. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

If you do, then finals becomes mostly meaningless.

The caption awards are almost always decided by Friday night. In just 5 short days, you'll be reading something like "Unless BD can beat SCV by 0.4 in drums on Saturday night, SCV has won another Sanford".

Saturday night would be a lot less exciting if the same were true of 10 of 12 finalists.

I guess it depends on one's definition of "fair". Should only the mostly subjective opinions of the finals night judges decide the outcome or should separate full panels all have an influence? 

This could also make penalties or a bad run on Thursday or Friday impact the final standings.

2 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Exactly. And every judge has his/her “rule” for “slotting”.  A .10 slot for one judge, versus a .005 slot for another, can impact the overall placement when corps are so tight as they are this year.  A few years back DCI allowed for .005. Overall, that was a good change. The downside now is that if one judge’s “slotting” differential is tighter than the other judge on a full panel, then you have the potential of that little nuance in personal scoring methodology to impact placement more than it was probably intended to.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

As the years go on scores get tighter & tighter.  At some point they may need togo to four or more decimal points.

At some point it gets a little ridiculous.  

I did not think any individual judge scored anything in finer increments than .05, just one additional split from the .10 they used before.  

I thought the third decimal comes from dividing category totals by 2, which means the individual score is cut in half, allowing for .025 increments.

And now with captions that are double judged then averaged together before being part of a category total that is divided by 2, we can see increments of .0125 in the total, so we are already to 4 decimal points, although DCI may round it to 3 when they report it.

Is this not correct?

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I often wonder if it would be better to average all the scores.

I’m still like the winner based on finals night but in the S.korea Winter Olympics Nathan Chen had a disastrous short program. I think he was in 15th place. Long program was a completely different outcome and he won the long by a few points. But the average of both put him in 5th....no medal. I kinda thought DCI would experiment with that idea. I do like 20 percent prelims, 30 percent semis and 50 percent finals if they did try that. But I’m fine with finals being what it is. 

7 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I did not think any individual judge scored anything in finer increments than .05, just one additional split from the .10 they used before.  

I thought the third decimal comes from dividing category totals by 2, which means the individual score is cut in half, allowing for .025 increments.

And now with captions that are double judged then averaged together before being part of a category total that is divided by 2, we can see increments of .0125 in the total, so we are already to 4 decimal points, although DCI may round it to 3 when they report it.

Is this not correct?

Judges can go to .05 within their caption.  So, overall, you can see smaller incremental differences in scoring.  For example, on Friday night, SCV was 93.588.  DCI uses 3 decimals.  

One other good thing about current scoring is it makes it much harder to end tied - especially at the top end of the scores where differences are going to be so slight.

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

It is possible that BC won’t win a single caption but still win the gold. That would be as narrow an escape as one could imagine.

It happened in 2016 I believe

9 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

It happened in 2016 I believe

I mentioned this years ago on here a some thought that’s impossible. But again captions are average of all nights for those awards. And yes I do believe Coats didn’t win any average captions but did score and win when it counted. And not only that it’s very possible that a corp be 2nd and maybe 3rd in captions and sub captions and still win the whole damm thing. It’s about numbers and that’s it. 

Edited by DFA1970