Kingston, NY -Saturday, August 3

46 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Wow... so the AccuWeather forecast was... well... inaccurate?  :tongue:

Let's hope the show goes on.  I hear ya, those corps do not need another rainout.

Starting now. We could really do without the speeches from the officials, as well as, sorry to say, the opening exhibition. But, whatever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Starting now. We could really do without the speeches from the officials, as well as, sorry to say, the opening exhibition. But, whatever.

Glad it's underway. I agree... given the weather conditions, get on with the competition and scrap the chit-chat. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Glad it's underway. I agree... given the weather conditions, get on with the competition and scrap the chit-chat. 

So Fran, Do you like raw onions or steamed onions on your burgers? I'm partial to steamed onions diced in little pieces like the ones at White Castle, just a tad of ketchup, not too much and I have the perfect burger.

🙂

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

OK... since I'm home for the evening, and on the passing chance that three or four other people might be interested, since everyone else in the drum corps universe is focused on DCI East...LOL... I figured I'd start a thread about tonight's "March of Champions" DCA show in Kingston, NY.  7 PM ET start time.

The DCA lineup:  (Not sure if this is order of appearance):

Sunrisers - Long Island, NY
Hurricanes - Seymour, CT
Fusion Core - Morris County, NJ
Bushwackers - Princeton, NJ
Hawthorne Caballeros - Hawthorne, NJ
White Sabers - Dansville, NY

In exhibition: Saints Brigade, Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni

According to AccuWeather, the forecast looks good. Certainly cooler than here in tropical Baltimore. :tongue: Best wishes to all the performers tonight!

Should be a pretty good show. I'll be interested to see how Cabs and Fusion score. Bush is also usually very entertaining. It's a shame we won't see another CV score until a few weeks before prelims. They were pretty dirty in Atlanta. Might have been nerves for some of the rookies. Plus if you've never played in a some, it's....special...very special. 

P.S - I love domes to watch drum corps but I HATED marching in them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HBD said:

So Fran, Do you like raw onions or steamed onions on your burgers? I'm partial to steamed onions diced in little pieces like the ones at White Castle, just a tad of ketchup, not too much and I have the perfect burger.

🙂

I'm not big on raw onions, unless they're diced on a good chili dog. 

I'll take the steamed or grilled onions any day!

BTW, had a killer dog last Monday at Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield.  The Dixie Dog...  chili and cole slaw. Outstanding.

We were on our way back from the Providence area  to visit Brenda's sons. Super Duper was our backup lunch plan, since Louis Lunch is closed on Mondays.  LOL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Should be a pretty good show. I'll be interested to see how Cabs and Fusion score. Bush is also usually very entertaining. It's a shame we won't see another CV score until a few weeks before prelims. They were pretty dirty in Atlanta. Might have been nerves for some of the rookies. Plus if you've never played in a some, it's....special...very special. 

P.S - I love domes to watch drum corps but I HATED marching in them. 

Never marched in a dome during my time... but the closest thing to that "dome experience" was at Giants Stadium in NJ. Basically an echo chamber on the field... and if you didn't raise your horns up higher than the wall in front of the lower-level seats, forget about it. The sound would bounce right back at you.

You guys are lucky. You have places that sell actual German food up there. We have a HUGE German population because of the VW plant and yet, alas...not a single real German restraunt. My father was a chef so I can make the stuff. But sometimes I just wanna buy it. Our beer here kinda sucks too. /sigh

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm not big on raw onions, unless they're diced on a good chili dog. 

I'll take the steamed or grilled onions any day!

BTW, had a killer dog last Monday at Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield.  The Dixie Dog...  chili and cole slaw. Outstanding.

We were on our way back from the Providence area  to visit Brenda's sons. Super Duper was our backup lunch plan, since Louis Lunch is closed on Mondays.  LOL.

Super Duper is GREAT! Haven't braved the traffic on 95 to get one in a LOOOONNNG time. What should be a 10 minute drive would take about and hour these days, And no matter how good the dogs are, they aren't worth an hour in traffic!

Can you believe it's you and I talking about onions and hot dogs on a Kingston Show thread? Kingston was one of those special shows on the schedule , corps started making their "moves" at Kingston and here we are, talking about food.

Makes you wonder

😀

Just now, Fran Haring said:

Never marched in a dome during my time... but the closest thing to that "dome experience" was at Giants Stadium in NJ. Basically an echo chamber on the field... and if you didn't raise your horns up higher than the wall in front of the lower-level seats, forget about it. The sound would bounce right back at you.

Yep. Listening center in a dome sucks BAD. I'm sure Jeff would agree. I have zero horn experience but battery in a dome is the devil.