Sunrisers 67.200

thanks for posting from the show Fran!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

thanks for posting from the show Fran!

No problem. It was an easy trip this year.  :tongue:

11 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear that, my friend!!!  That was an iconic gig for many years. Not much "DCA buzz" these days, for various reasons I suppose.

Man.... we stopped at Super Duper about 1:30 or so, after a short sightseeing side trip to New Haven.... and from there on out, traffic was brutal. Pretty much all the way down to about Exit 13 on the NJ Turnpike. Absolutely nuts.  The only break was when we bailed onto the Palisades Parkway off 287. That was a quiet, and scenic, trip down to the GW Bridge area. Hadn't been on the Palisades for years!!!

Anytime we travel, there are two things that have to happen on the agenda (if we are going to be someplace for more than a day.) 

1. Find pool halls...all the pools halls...must have pool halls

2. Look for old neighborhoods. Anything with Queen Annes, Mid-Century Moderns or Craftsmans is a target for me actually pulling into the driveway, getting out of the car and ringing on the doorbell. I have no shame and I LOVE old houses. If there's a Frank Llloyd Wright ANYTHING within 150 miles I'm going to it. It could be a garbage can...I simply don't care. 

3. Find restaurants. Irish, German, Italian (Family Style please.) I just love food. There's an Irish restaurant in Nashville called McNamara's which is WONDERFUL. Very traditional. St Simons has Bennies Red Barn. I've got a list somewhere LOL. 

4. Find architectural salvage shops (or as Britt calls them "houses of crap") 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Anytime we travel, there are two things that have to happen on the agenda (if we are going to be someplace for more than a day.) 

1. Find pool halls...all the pools halls...must have pool halls

2. Look for old neighborhoods. Anything with Queen Annes, Mid-Century Moderns or Craftsmans is a target for me actually pulling into the driveway, getting out of the car and ringing on the doorbell. I have no shame and I LOVE old houses. If there's a Frank Llloyd Wright ANYTHING within 150 miles I'm going to it. It could be a garbage can...I simply don't care. 

3. Find restaurants. Irish, German, Italian (Family Style please.) I just love food. There's an Irish restaurant in Nashville called McNamara's which is WONDERFUL. Very traditional. St Simons has Bennies Red Barn. I've got a list somewhere LOL. 

4. Find architectural salvage shops (or as Britt calls them "houses of crap") 

Definitely with you on the restaurants... we try to look for local places whenever possible. Irish/English pubs, historic taverns, seafood, German,  family restaurants, local-hangout dives and burger/BBQ joints.  Or some sort of cuisine we haven't tried but want to. Sometimes a hit, sometimes a miss. :tongue:

Several times, our trips have turned into detours... we start out going to one place, and then find other stuff along the way, coming or going.  LOL.  A couple of years ago on our way home from Williamsburg VA, we saw a sign for "George Washington Birthplace."  20 miles or so down the road. So off we went.  We thought it might be a small visitors' center, maybe a statue or plaque... turned into an extended visit at a rather large property, including a tour of the restored/re-created buildings on site.

And... I know this might sound weird... but Brenda and I love looking through old cemeteries. Interesting history. And every now and then, a locally well-known or nationally-famous/notorious person buried there. 

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

And... I know this might sound weird... but Brenda and I love looking through old cemeteries. Interesting history. And every now and then, a locally well-known or nationally-famous/notorious person buried there. 

Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah is always a must stop when we are down that way. We missed going last time (well...we got there and parked but then...) because a certain dullard (who shall remain nameless) managed to forget his debit card at Southern Barrel Brewery in Bluffton, SC and had to drive all the way back to get it. When I went back I grabbed another 6 pack of #### Yankee IPA though so......WORTH IT!

Living in Chattanooga, we have a LOT of cemeteries. Several civil war cemeteries and a BUNCH of slave cemeteries up on Missionary Ridge where I live. SO many have been forgotten over the years and are overgrown. Beautiful places to visit actually. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Definitely with you on the restaurants... we try to look for local places whenever possible. Irish/English pubs, historic taverns, seafood, German,  family restaurants, local-hangout dives and burger/BBQ joints.  Or some sort of cuisine we haven't tried but want to. Sometimes a hit, sometimes a miss. :tongue:

Several times, our trips have turned into detours... we start out going to one place, and then find other stuff along the way, coming or going.  LOL.  A couple of years ago on our way home from Williamsburg VA, we saw a sign for "George Washington Birthplace."  20 miles or so down the road. So off we went.  We thought it might be a small visitors' center, maybe a statue or plaque... turned into an extended visit at a rather large property, including a tour of the restored/re-created buildings on site.

So now the Kingston thread has morphed from Lobster Mac and Cheese, Steamed onions , hot dogs, Louie's burger joint and now cemeteries, pool halls and salvage shops! 😅

Wow!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, HBD said:

So now the Kingston thread has morphed from Lobster Mac and Cheese, Steamed onions , hot dogs, Louie's burger joint and now cemeteries, pool halls and salvage shops! 😅

Wow!

It's all about the experience. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HBD said:

Wow!

There aren't enough shows to keep us occupied in DCA and the DCI forums are mostly people whining about design, preferential judging and how Phantom Regiment is going to instantly fade off into oblivion if Will Pitts isn't sacrificed full blown Temple of Doom style while the Blue Devils dance around his body. But FOOD!! Food, graveyards, houses and other old people stuff...now THAT'S thread worthy!

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1