Buffalo, NY (Drums Along the Waterfront) - August 4, 2019

34 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Paid for the guard??  You mean the several dozen free, independent, talented, adult men and women. 

Didn’t we win a war against your great great grandaddies involving the subject of treating people like property?

There's always that one who takes it to the most extreme...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Did...did we just pivot hard to slavery and the civil war in this thread?

(If a zinger gets someone that riled up, it 100% means it was most effective)

Yes, the zinger was effective. I have a sensitivity to talk referencing people as objects that can be bought, stolen, paid for, etc. 

4 hours ago, Ediker said:

I wish somebody could explain why this is so.

A good many people give a great deal of time, money, etc. to the organization. It’s very concerning if no one can explain why the #### Boston’s percussion scores continue to sink. 

Could it be that they just aren't playing well? Seems the most simple and obvious explanation to me. Not the first judge to note that in the last couple of week. Time, money, etc. have nothing to do with drumsticks hitting the head of a drum, mallets hitting the marimba, etc. The notion that time and money have anything to do with their Percussion score is very curious. Judges are supposed to call it like they see it. Regardless of the pedigree, the uniform, or the booster support. 

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

Didn’t we win a war against your great great grandaddies involving the subject of treating people like property?

Wow, you must be really old if you fought in that war.

Also, you must have quite extensive research capabilities to know the history of all 8 great great grandfathers of another poster.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Could it be that they just aren't playing well? Seems the most simple and obvious explanation to me. Not the first judge to note that in the last couple of week.

Well, yes, it is that they are not playing well. I know they’re working on it, but the scores/rankings just get worse each show. Something must be very wrong. 

22 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Time, money, etc. have nothing to do with drumsticks hitting the head of a drum, mallets hitting the marimba, etc. The notion that time and money have anything to do with their Percussion score is very curious. Judges are supposed to call it like they see it. Regardless of the pedigree, the uniform, or the booster support. 

I mean time and money supporting the costs of the activity. Volunteers, donors, etc. Do the MMs have what they need to be competitive?  I’m for judges calling it as they see it. I believe they hear problems. I want the staff and kids to have whatever they need. Seeing the scores nosedive is distressing. 

4 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Well, yes, it is that they are not playing well. I know they’re working on it, but the scores/rankings just get worse each show. Something must be very wrong. 

I mean time and money supporting the costs of the activity. Volunteers, donors, etc. Do the MMs have what they need to be competitive?  I’m for judges calling it as they see it. I believe they hear problems. I want the staff and kids to have whatever they need. Seeing the scores nosedive is distressing. 

Fair enough, and agree. I struggled last season watching the Cavaliers slide backwards in Brass ratings in the last two weeks of the season. So i totally understand. I misread your comments. Peace. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Could it be that they just aren't playing well? Seems the most simple and obvious explanation to me. Not the first judge to note that in the last couple of week. Time, money, etc. have nothing to do with drumsticks hitting the head of a drum, mallets hitting the marimba, etc. The notion that time and money have anything to do with their Percussion score is very curious. Judges are supposed to call it like they see it. Regardless of the pedigree, the uniform, or the booster support. 

Easy answer is there is at least 7 percussion sections that are just better.