Buffalo, NY (Drums Along the Waterfront) - August 4, 2019

17 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Drove 2.5 hours to get to this show last night. It was totally worth it.

Getting There- This is the most remote NFL stadium I have ever seen and there is little sign of life between Erie and here. We were super early so stopped to grab a beverage and a bite to eat at a local bar. 

Probably my fault but I encountered that my purse (that is on my person every day everywhere I go) was too large so once I got to the gate I had to go back to the car, empty it, hide it, then go back through security. Then I get through security and I am asked for my ticket 😳

I said it was at will call so they made me leave again and walk not kidding over .25 miles to the next (closed) gate where there was a small ticket window but nobody around. So when I finally got settled in my seat it was 628. 

The Colts- Lots of great visual stuff going on here with the hell then freezing theme. Very melodic show that was extremely easy to follow. Probably the best I have seen from them in recent years. You could tell the performers were having a blast...and a lot of fantastic musicians in the corps. To think... this show is 14/15. Wow.

Mandarins- this show is very powerful and the hornline is great. Ok. Sitting in the 3rd row of the audience on the 50 I was scared the whole time. Would they come get me next?  I liked the acrobatics in this show.

Phantom Regiment- the old, beloved, Phantom sound is back, and there were moments of sheer beauty and emotion sprinkles throughout the show. I loved the trumpet/Mello switch. On the other hand there were some very awkward transitions( show writing) and they win the unnecessarily thunderous goo award. But overall I agree that this may be the best Phantom show since Turnadot and I hope they continue to grow and put out beautiful shows.

Blue Stars- this show is a visual monster and I was quite impressed with their hornline and percussion performances too. I liked the soloists in the sled concept. All that power...then a soft ending. I think "the call of the wild" the narrator speaks of could definitely come from the hornline.

Blue Knights- I had very very high expectations for this show and for the most part they were met. I don't care what anyone says- I love the mirrors. They are offset so the reflection to the audience is offset and looks ghostly and they aren't clear... showing that while we may remember everything our reflection of what happened isn't as clear as the event itself. Besides they don't distract from the most important part- the corps members. Absolutely beautiful show musically and the rifle tosses compliment the music so well. There are also some strong, beautiful moments of pure silence in this show. My favorite of the night. It might have been just me though. Got a tepid crowd reaction.

Boston Crusaders- Great performance from the hornline. I started watching guard a lot when Goliath came out. The ironic thing was all this brow beating about my shot and I missed the shot. I saw Goliath go down but I didn't see David take the shot. I didn't hear any glaring percussion issues so🤷

Carolina Crown- Powerful opener, beautiful ballad, rock em sock em closer. Lots of movement. This show is a very nice nod to drum corps past. Hornline was great and percussion was probably my favorite of the night. The hornline doesn't sound worlds above everyone else though. They were with Bluecoats and Cavaliers rather than miles above them.

Cavaliers- Maybe their best hornline ever and their most entertaining show since Mad World. I can see why this is a fan favorite and why Cavaliers homers think it's underscored. Powerful and fun from start to finish. I thought some of the pit instruments would break with the intensity they were being played. My husband's favorite show of the night.

Bluecoats- I wrote this show off as slow to start but it's not. There are so many little nuances going on at the beginning that it is impossible to catch with a recording. It would probably take the whole season of seeing them live to catch everything. Eleanor Rigby is genius. They could minimize the blackbird noises during the beautiful ballad. I get it. It's blackbird. Come together is a rock concert. The ending is coming to it's own too. I really enjoy the hey Jude reprise. Doug Thrower is a genius and I really want this show to win.

Cavaliers Encore- all play here. The drum majors came up in the stands and stood a few rows behind me. The hornline played, very beautifully somewhere over the rainbow. Then they jammed to out of Africa and another pop song that I recognize but couldn't put my finger on @PopcornEater1963 do you know which one? Then the entire hornline ran over security and rushed the stands at the 50. My husband and a few others in the isle got a high five from just about every member. Then they played a chord and left. Short, sweet, laid back, and incredibly fun. @Hook'emCavies I wish you were there.

That last song was "Roseanna" ...also a Toto song like "Africa". Glad you enjoyed it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, karuna said:

Oh please Poppy, you relegated Crown to 6th or 7th place a month ago.  Your prognosticative skills have proven to be severely lacking.

In any case no where will you find me predicting anything about Crown's final placement. (well except in the preseason prediction thread :biggrin: )

40 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I do enjoy reading all the fake hype about an organization that managed to barely win one Championship. At least wait until your Crownies win two if that ever happens. 

Let's all calm down here and remember the important thing: 

BD is the greatest corps of all time :thumbup:

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Lots of people don’t use their real names.  This is my actual name. 

I also use my real name !!

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, Drum Corps Guy said:

Good Morning, Folks,

If I may...at the end of the day, we must all remember that we are all on the same team, i.e. we all love this activity (I would call it a sport) we call Drum Corps.  I think it's great that we all have our corps that we cheer on during the season, and there's nothing wrong with some friendly rivalry, balanced critiquing, and even some good humored ribbing at times, but lets not forget we are all on the same team at the end of the day no matter what corps we cheer on. 

Every one of these young adults who march, no matter who they march for, work immensely hard at their craft, rehearsing 8 or more hours a day, traveling the country, putting on these amazing shows for us all.  We can have our favorites, though in my opinion, they all deserve our support, no matter how they place in the end. 

This has been one heck of a season in Drum Corps.  I don't think I've seen it this close in quite some time.  There's no clear cut favorite this year, and it will probably come down to the end, where these kids will leave it all out on the field for that one moment of being crowned DCI's 2019 Drum Corps Champion.

Looking forward to this next week to see how everyone cleans up their shows for Indy.  Believe we might have some surprises in placing this year.  

Have a great day! 

I have posted previously in other threads about this subject and Drum Corps Guy is exactly right. It is a real turn off participating in this forum where the constant "put downs" and "personal attacks" occur on a frequent basis. The sad thing is, it seems to come in large part from members who have "Veteran" status. I would think these folks would be far more tolerant of others because they may have more experience? It's DCP living up to it's worst reputation of being an over opinionated group.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, karuna said:

Pretending Poppy is Patricia was not a serious claim (and I think they got that!) 

Oi vey things are SPICY on DCP.

How so?   Are you implying that I’m too stupid to understand your joke? 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Let's all calm down here and remember the important thing: 

BD is the greatest corps of all time :thumbup:

Living in BD land, I do tire of seeing BD win but Cappybara is correct. Not only 18 World Titles to their name but let's not forget the 2nd place finishes also. SCV is another great, being a charter member of DCI and maintaining there stature within DCI for decades. In the early days of drum corps, the Midwest reigned supreme. And for another long period, the East coast were the best. The California corps learned from the best, imported whatever talent they felt they needed and results are the current records. They are now other corps from Mandarins down to Open Class corps in California making huge strides. Wishing all of the them the best. "Live Long and Prosper"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Though entertaining the BAC/Crown feud is unbecoming. There’s still a few shows left and neither corps is guaranteed to medal. However the outcome, both organizations have provided the fans with entertaining performances. 

Stayed classy for two whole posts and then...

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

I do enjoy reading all the fake hype about an organization that managed to barely win one Championship. At least wait until your Crownies win two if that ever happens. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1