Aug 5 Tour of Champions - Akron

12 hours ago, OhioBoy_99 said:

Took my mom to the DCI premiere in theaters to expose her to her first "show". Wanted to get her somewhat into the activity but didn't expect her to be as blown away as she was (very happy she was I might add). The tour dates played in between the performances and she saw there was a show in Akron (live about 30 minutes away) and she turned to me and said "We're going". And now it's almost here and I couldn't be more excited to be taking her to her first live show as well as a few other family members. Can't wait for tomorrow to get here!!

12 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Hitting the road at 9:30am.  Time to introduce the kid to drumcorps.

10 hours ago, DasTuba said:

I'll be there tomorrow with my 10 year old daughter who will be entering her 4th year in winterguard this season, she says she wants to become a member of Crown or BAC guard when she's older. 

What better way to have quality father daughter time than live drum corps!! It's our first and only live show this year and we can't wait! 

9 hours ago, Forevergreen said:

Will be there.  Ecstatic this show is at Infocision…..I hope I get in.  I ordered my tickets in June, never received them so called about 3 weeks ago and they said they would send them again.  I still do not have them, but I do have a confirmation number in an email.

1 hour ago, Glassmen80 said:

Bringing some of my band to the show tonight.  Some of them saw the premier live.  They thought the groups were great in June...  Hold on to your hats, boys and girls!!!

Welcome to my town!  This show should be fanTAStic at Infocision - agree w/ the OP on the "growing pains" the past couple of years at Massillon, and also the expected long lines at the ticket window.  For those of you who haven't been to this stadium, the seating area faces east so no sun to deal with.

Moderate chance of a storm in the mid/late afternoon, but other than that:

Hourly forecast

The crowd's energy level and enthusiasm for EVERY corps at this show is truly remarkable and something to experience...

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, gak27 said:

The crowd's energy level and enthusiasm for EVERY corps at this show is truly remarkable and something to experience...

Amen. The Akron/Canton crowd loves everyone. Lots of enthusiasm at big show moments and as Oprah would say "YOU get a standing ovation" "YOU get a standing O" "YOU get a standing O"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How many TOC shows have there been this season?  Either there haven't been that many or else they haven't been promoted as such or I just missed them.

In years past, they had as many shows as participants and everyone was rotated among all the slots -- you went on first, last, and every spot in between. Has this changed this year?

• Like 1

Times are Eastern Zone

Judging Panel

Good Luck to all!

BAC! ••|•|•••

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gak27 said:

The spectator make-up at this show is the complete opposite of what you would find at the Buffalo show the night before.

People know what they are looking at and they show it enthusiastically.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

How many TOC shows have there been this season?  Either there haven't been that many or else they haven't been promoted as such or I just missed them.

In years past, they had as many shows as participants and everyone was rotated among all the slots -- you went on first, last, and every spot in between. Has this changed this year?

I was thinking the same thing. I hope the TOC is dead. Never liked it. Too arrogant and greedy to not include lower-placing corps. The original TOC was limited to top 8 corps only. I think that aspect has died. This show tonight seems more like a normal DCI show. This show is mostly sponsored by the Bluecoats and the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It revolves around the HOF Enshrinement Festival, and that is how people should see this show...not as a TOC show. 

• Like 1

After a little searching on the old Google, I think I'm going to try eating at The Rail before the show. Looks pretty good! Any other suggestions that my extremely picky eater of a daughter might still like? By picky I mean she basically lives off chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, and PB&J 🙄

36 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I think DCI is trying to phase out the traditional TOC model (which itself was a compromise based on GH's G7 model), especially after a new procedural change that clarified how corps would be seeded and ordered after San Antonio just a year ago. In the past, we would see mostly the same 7 corps at every show in a mostly random order, with 1 or 2 exceptions in more recent years just to mix things up, as well as the occasional absence of a top group to rehearse or to perform at a different show. Nowadays, it's more or less an assortment of Finals-level corps, with a good chunk of the Top 6, some 7th-12th place Finalists, and maybe 1 or 2 corps just below the Finals threshold for good measure.

I would prefer if DCI rebranded events like this one that occur during the second half of the season (along with Broken Arrow, Murfreesboro, Winston-Salem, etc.) to distance themselves from the former TOC model. Call the new event series something like "DCI TopTier" or another unique name.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

7 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

The spectator make-up at this show is the complete opposite of what you would find at the Buffalo show the night before.

People know what they are looking at and they show it enthusiastically.

True to an extent. Being a North Canton resident and having been to this show, and also having worked the Pro Football HOF Festival for years, the enthusiasm from the crowd for this show is two-fold. Yes, it does attract a lot of professional band directors, their students, college kids, and very knowledgeable fans from all over Ohio, including the Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Massillon regions. But the show also hosts a LOT of Pro Football HOF guests who are visiting from all over the country to see their favorite players. The show is an official event of the festival and attracts a lot of folks who have no idea what drum corps is -- some years to the tune of several thousand. These are people that are blown away by all the corps, and that has long been one of the reasons every corps gets a big ovation. It really is a great atmosphere. There have been years where you would NOT have known the Bluecoats were the home corps until the encore, and that is not a cut on Bloo but to simply say that the crowd has gone wild for all the corps. 

Definitely pulling for Bluecoats to nail their highest score to date as they set themselves up for Finals weekend. I do think Bloo's show this year is legendary. It's not just good, and it's not just potential Gold Medal caliber (as is BD), but once again the Bluecoats have shown the activity and fans how a fun concept with great design can be competitive and entertaining. 

If this is your first time attending, you will love it, and definitely stay for the encore. I typically no longer stay for the encores only because I have heard those tunes a million times. I get it that alumni want to hear "their" songs, so the fact that it's the same stuff every year is understandable. It's not to my liking, but I'm sure they will play some of their show music too. 

Anyway, go Bloo! Also looking forward to seeing Crown, SCV, Phantom, and all the rest. 

• Like 3