Aug 5 Tour of Champions - Akron

13 minutes ago, DasTuba said:

After a little searching on the old Google, I think I'm going to try eating at The Rail before the show. Looks pretty good! Any other suggestions that my extremely picky eater of a daughter might still like? By picky I mean she basically lives off chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, and PB&J 🙄

The Rail is fantastic! They use all Ohio beef among other products. Winking Lizard is good (wings, ribs, sandwiches, etc.), and Swenson's is a drive-up service to car restaurant that has a classic burger (The Galley Boy) and great drinks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

The Rail is fantastic! They use all Ohio beef among other products. Winking Lizard is good (wings, ribs, sandwiches, etc.), and Swenson's is a drive-up service to car restaurant that has a classic burger (The Galley Boy) and great drinks. 

I will +1 all of those choices - I do believe Lizard has a pretty extensive kids menu (including M&C) and Swenson's has some FANTASTIC choices for the picky and not so picky...

• Like 3

Just now, gak27 said:

I will +1 all of those choices - I do believe Lizard has a pretty extensive kids menu (including M&C) and Swenson's has some FANTASTIC choices for the picky and not so picky...

No doubt. We have a small Winking Lizard here in North Canton, but I love it. It's my fav summer hangout for beer and food. :)

• Like 2

I'm  on my way to Akron. Stopped off at Jeffersonville for some shopping and lunch. Can't wait for tonight!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

31 minutes ago, gak27 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Tough choice!! I have a 3 hour drive to decide lol.

Edited by DasTuba
  • Like 1

Mandarin's last show tonight before Indy. So, from my West Coast perch I implore:

BRING IT, MANDARINS!!! `\\\

Since they are not head-to-head against Blue Stars tonight, I can't realistically ask for a closing of that gap.

So instead, I would like to see a new ATH score over their 88.663 at last year's Semis.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

True to an extent. Being a North Canton resident and having been to this show, and also having worked the Pro Football HOF Festival for years, the enthusiasm from the crowd for this show is two-fold. Yes, it does attract a lot of professional band directors, their students, college kids, and very knowledgeable fans from all over Ohio, including the Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Massillon regions. But the show also hosts a LOT of Pro Football HOF guests who are visiting from all over the country to see their favorite players. The show is an official event of the festival and attracts a lot of folks who have no idea what drum corps is -- some years to the tune of several thousand. These are people that are blown away by all the corps, and that has long been one of the reasons every corps gets a big ovation. It really is a great atmosphere. There have been years where you would NOT have known the Bluecoats were the home corps until the encore, and that is not a cut on Bloo but to simply say that the crowd has gone wild for all the corps. 

Definitely pulling for Bluecoats to nail their highest score to date as they set themselves up for Finals weekend. I do think Bloo's show this year is legendary. It's not just good, and it's not just potential Gold Medal caliber (as is BD), but once again the Bluecoats have shown the activity and fans how a fun concept with great design can be competitive and entertaining. 

If this is your first time attending, you will love it, and definitely stay for the encore. I typically no longer stay for the encores only because I have heard those tunes a million times. I get it that alumni want to hear "their" songs, so the fact that it's the same stuff every year is understandable. It's not to my liking, but I'm sure they will play some of their show music too. 

Anyway, go Bloo! Also looking forward to seeing Crown, SCV, Phantom, and all the rest. 

The Buffalo show has essentially nobody that knows what DCI drumcorps really is.  There are some DCA dinosaurs there that insist on calling it "junior corps" and they complain that they don't understand what the shows are about.  There are a few band directors and school groups that know about the existence of DCI but not much more.  And those people are really the only true fans present.

The HOF show has alumni and their family and friends.  It's a different world.

• Like 1

Checked in.  Hotel is box 4... but the Chick-fil-A down the road certainly adds to the GE.

• Like 1