Aug 5 Tour of Champions - Akron

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Why are people so against dark shows? I wonder if it's a generational thing because I love dark shows 

They aren't (I'm not).  But they 'all' are dark (serious).  It's like listening to an album of only break-up songs.  Even if you are in a great relationship... it can make you feel alone in a hurry.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wonker said:

Crown's Rach Star

So funny story...

As of right now, my friend is owing me $100 because of the Bluecoats ending. We saw Bluecoats early in the season and we were debating on what the new ending would be and placed a bet on it. I said the most obvious would have to be an encore ending like Rach Star in 2011 and when asked what music they would play then, I settled with Hey Jude since they hadn’t played it yet and EVERYONE knows it! He disagreed thinking both were too obvious so I bet $50 the ending would be an encore and another $50 that it would be Hey Jude. Thanks Bluecoats!!! Don’t change it this week please I could use the money!

In reality, I wish I couldn’t have predicted the ending. I mean it’s the obvious answer to get the crowd up and everything but I was wanting some new twist or idea to end out a show like this from this staff. I can’t be too disappointed though since an encore is a great way to end a concert after all

11 hours ago, OhioBoy_99 said:

No idea where to even start! Best show I've been to yet. It was a great experience and glad to take some new and old fans along with me! Found out my aunt, who I invited along was actually into DCI heavily about 20 years and fell off for family reasons. So this was her first show since then! I asked her how is it now compared to then and to summarize her 3 main points she said were, "More athletic. More lyrical. Darker themes." Interesting as these have all been discussed on here before. Alright now to get some quick thoughts down!

Interesting. My gut sense is that the average show in 1999 is more lyrical than the average show in 2019.

3 hours ago, Jast45 said:

Please have this show here every year from now on and ditch Massillon. As much as I love the sound at Massillon because of the overhang, Akron is just so much better for it all: crowd size (anyone have a total?) merchandise (Bloo’s souvie line was packed all night long), concessions and bathrooms, sound was still awesome, announcements and corps speakers all could be heard clearly (though the same woman announcer always cracks me up, she gets something wrong every year  i think she jumped the gun at the end of the cavies’s show lol) ...

The concession staff at Akron is not so good. Very slow service. We got into the shortest line --not more than ten people deep-- prior to the national anthem and were only just being served when Crossmen started. That's twenty minutes for ten customers.

The announcer jumped the gun on both Cavaliers and Bluecoats, because in both cases the corps take a long pause before their tag endings.

However, in the case of Cavaliers, it sounded to me like she left her microphone on for their ending, because their sound seemed to be coming through the stadium speakers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting. My gut sense is that the average show in 1999 is more lyrical than the average show in 2019.

I'm thinking she might've used the word in the wrong sense. I think she was referring more to the narration and vocals that are very present in a lot of the shows today!

Just now, OhioBoy_99 said:

I'm thinking she might've used the word in the wrong sense. I think she was referring more to the narration and vocals that are very present in a lot of the shows today!

Ah, so "lyrical" in the sense of having actual lyrics.

(Because if there's one thing that drum and bugle corps was crying out for in 1999, it was speaking and singing?)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ah, so "lyrical" in the sense of having actual lyrics.

(Because if there's one thing that drum and bugle corps was crying out for in 1999, it was speaking and singing?)

Seeing as I was born that year, I was probably the one doing the most crying.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, wilme861 said:

He disagreed thinking both were too obvious so I bet $50 the ending would be an encore and another $50 that it would be Hey Jude. Thanks Bluecoats!!! Don’t change it this week please I could use the money!

Good luck collecting that bet.

I stood behind the wheelchair seating in the lower level for the Bluecoats show and I wish there were words to adequately express how their show made me feel. The music was divine and the energy took my breath away. She's So Heavy ranks right up there with Crown's Bohemian Rhapsody in my book as amongst the most jaw dropping moments in my limited drum corps experience. I am not a musician. I am just the mom of a former mm who appreciates the intensity and theatricality that all of the corps bring to the field (as well as a huge Beatles fan!). Thank you to all of the corps who performed last night.  I can't wait to see you at the movies! Go Blooooo!!!!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

They aren't (I'm not).  But they 'all' are dark (serious).  It's like listening to an album of only break-up songs.  Even if you are in a great relationship... it can make you feel alone in a hurry.

I’m not against dark shows. I’m against shows that believe that dark equals creative.