Some interesting ideas...worth considering from Ken...

No offense to anyone, but those cad renderings are non-starters.

Cavaliers look great this year. So do Bluecoats (that's professional-level costume design on them, what you'd expect if someone was designing a theater piece around the concept). Not a fan of Vanguard's choice only in that it makes them look sloppy, but it's still better than a "lite" version of their 90s uniform, as presented here.

Regiment has fairly traditional uniforms on for most of their show, as do Mandarins, so there are some corps sticking with the concept. Good for them. But the days when a corps establishes "a" uniform and uses it for years are gone and won't likely be coming back any time soon.

• Confused 1

Considering the venue whether it be Bands or Drum Corps, I still prefer a 2-piece uniform with separate, wide leg pants and an overlay top or jacket. I really dislike the "tight" look bottoms or the one-piece uni-suit. Since more and more show designs seem to rely on close up views of expressions, make-up etc..... The spandex type body suits do not provide a pleasing visual picture.

14 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

The problem with the current costumes/uniforms is not merely aesthetic, but philosophical: the utter sacrifice of the visual continuity of the corps across the years for the momentary identification with the year's theme. 

The second problem is the sacrifice of the emphasis on the 'unit' for the emphasis on 'individual' performance and self-expression.

There are at least two reasons for this: the overall change in society which emphasizes the individual over the collective, and money, which enables and drives the exaltation of the individual over the community.

Make no mistake; the danger is real and documented that the community can often sacrifice the individual. Right now the danger is that we lose in society in general and drum corps in particular the concept that the individual can be strengthened and affirmed by his/her participation in community. 

YUP! Nailed it. 

I like these renders. Would bring back the concept of corps identity and solidify the idea that uniforms should be, you know, uniform (cough Bluecoats cough). I think the shakos may still be a little too limiting though and I wouldn't mind corps deciding to ditch the shakos sometime into the show or altogether completely so long as their uniform is atleast identifiable to that corps

• Like 2

Interesting discussion!

I happen to like the images provided, primarily because they include headwear. Boston and several others look terrific up top! In a post a few day ago (think it was Cadets87) the writer suggested keeping the brass line/drum line in something more standard and traditional. As mfrontz correctly states, there is benefit to being part of a well-known, easily recognized team. A group with an enduring look and stage presence. An image young musicians aspire to personally display one day. The traditional team colors, so to speak.

Let the musicians be musicians FIRST.  Not prancers and dancers. Today's guards are more than qualified to be better at role-playing than any member that rightfully needs to play the instrument to perfection . . . . above all else.

Guards can change their look, feel, and movement as required per theme for that year. Same for DMs, and maybe soloists, too! Those performers need to wear the loose fitting garments. Yes, musicians can strike an occasional pose, but as a body of performers, need not become Guard members in addition to what is already provided by those who are better trained for that task.

My goodness, it's hard to find any green in Cavaliers these days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

The problem with the current costumes/uniforms is not merely aesthetic, but philosophical: the utter sacrifice of the visual continuity of the corps across the years for the momentary identification with the year's theme. 

The second problem is the sacrifice of the emphasis on the 'unit' for the emphasis on 'individual' performance and self-expression.

There are at least two reasons for this: the overall change in society which emphasizes the individual over the collective, and money, which enables and drives the exaltation of the individual over the community.

Make no mistake; the danger is real and documented that the community can often sacrifice the individual. Right now the danger is that we lose in society in general and drum corps in particular the concept that the individual can be strengthened and affirmed by his/her participation in community. 

I stopped believing quite some time ago that drum corps is an accurate proxy for society as a whole.  It's not, and it's a delusion to consider that it is.

Society as a whole has exalted individuals since the dawn of man; sports stars are the obvious example, but also in the arts across all spectrums, individuals are held out as spectacular examples of the craft they excel at even if part of a "team" (The Three Tenors, anyone?).

I doubt strongly that today's bend toward unitards and feather boas is some example of society's emphasis on the individual.  And I'll also add that, if it is, then it's about time drum corps has moved in this direction.  Make heroes out of the star players.  Hold them up as the leading examples even if there's a line of performers around them.

Do you know what I see when I watch that monster BD snare line?  Brandon Olander, the rockstar center snare who overcame incredible odds to live his dream in THAT spot, and worked his toosh off for, now, 8 years to earn the right to stand there.  I appreciate the whole line, but my hat-tip goes squarely to him and his true "rock star" status in the BD line.

Make them rock stars, make them sponsorable individually, and hold them out as the best reasons to do music performance.

Lastly, the activity has done it "your" way (I know you're reflecting other viewpoints, too) and look where we are.  With so many significant changes made and coming to the activity, the uniform issue is not as significant as  1. judging based on the number of music rights attained, 2. the props arms race, 3. the instrumentation, and 4. inequity among corps attempting to compete on financial wherewithal because of 1 - 3.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

YUP! Nailed it. 

I like these renders. Would bring back the concept of corps identity and solidify the idea that uniforms should be, you know, uniform (cough Bluecoats cough). I think the shakos may still be a little too limiting though and I wouldn't mind corps deciding to ditch the shakos sometime into the show or altogether completely so long as their uniform is atleast identifiable to that corps

I don't think corps "identity" is a big issue today because the average tenure of both participants and fans is only about 3 years.

Who needs to worry about "legacy" among such short memories and interest?

"A man is the room he walks into."  Drum corps is only pertinent to those participating and watching today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

I don't think corps "identity" is a big issue today because the average tenure of both participants and fans is only about 3 years.

Who needs to worry about "legacy" among such short memories and interest?

"A man is the room he walks into."  Drum corps is only pertinent to those participating and watching today.

Good points. Regardless, we can atleast agree that corps with "uniforms" that aren't even consistent from person to person is a little ridiculous, yes? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Good points. Regardless, we can at least agree that corps with "uniforms" that aren't even consistent from person to person is a little ridiculous, yes?  [emphasis added]

Not to put words in his mouth, but why would he agree with that?   He just told you he values the celebration of individual rock star members.  How better than having unique costumes where those stars are more easily noticed?

Not that I necessarily agree with that line of reasoning, but it's pointless to presume any consensus agreement.