Some interesting ideas...worth considering from Ken...

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I like them.  But I’m old and I am nostalgic sometimes so I’m probably not a good sample. 

I'm not old not nostalgic, you and I just seem to be one of the few who don't need a new pair of glasses 🙄

6 hours ago, mfrontz said:

The problem with the current costumes/uniforms is not merely aesthetic, but philosophical: the utter sacrifice of the visual continuity of the corps across the years for the momentary identification with the year's theme. 

The second problem is the sacrifice of the emphasis on the 'unit' for the emphasis on 'individual' performance and self-expression.

There are at least two reasons for this: the overall change in society which emphasizes the individual over the collective, and money, which enables and drives the exaltation of the individual over the community.

Make no mistake; the danger is real and documented that the community can often sacrifice the individual. Right now the danger is that we lose in society in general and drum corps in particular the concept that the individual can be strengthened and affirmed by his/her participation in community. 

A great observation. As I read this I couldn’t help but hear the voice of Captain Jean-Luc Picard after the first few sentences. 

1 hour ago, garfield said:

But Cirque has woodwinds.  Or better, no rules or restrictions.

Barnum & Bailey is drum corps before 2018 and Cirque is drum corps since, I guess is your point.

(Anyone looking at the caravan of corps as they roll into town would easily confuse drum corps with Barnum's gig.)

And they have electric bass with a killer audition. If I were single, I'd love to give it a shot.

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

YUP! Nailed it. 

I like these renders. Would bring back the concept of corps identity and solidify the idea that uniforms should be, you know, uniform (cough Bluecoats cough).  ... so long as their uniform is atleast identifiable to that corps

Spot on Cappy and mfontz!

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm not old not nostalgic, you and I just seem to be one of the few who don't need a new pair of glasses 🙄

Contacts???

Hey there is a A.D.A. policy about posters, not just about the judges.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mfrontz said:

I'm intrigued by your simultaneous contention that drum corps doesn't reflect society and your prescription that DCI focus on the individual, and forgive me if I'm wrong, to the point of something like 'Brandon Olander, sponsored by Promark.' How much more reflective of today's society can you get?

So, let me explain and, BTW, thanks for your civil response. 

Yes, Brandon, sponsored by Promark and kids sponsored by their HS, and kids sponsored by old snare drummers... all of them and more.

I wrote a lot more but deleted it all in favor of:  drum corps is a rich-person's niche activity, and I support any rule implementation that makes it easier for corps to sponsor kids' annual fees instead of accelerating the A&E/Props arms race to Cirque-ism.

What is not correct with my sentiments?

Edited by garfield

6 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Interesting discussion!

I happen to like the images provided, primarily because they include headwear. Boston and several others look terrific up top! In a post a few day ago (think it was Cadets87) the writer suggested keeping the brass line/drum line in something more standard and traditional. As mfrontz correctly states, there is benefit to being part of a well-known, easily recognized team. A group with an enduring look and stage presence. An image young musicians aspire to personally display one day. The traditional team colors, so to speak.

Let the musicians be musicians FIRST.  Not prancers and dancers. Today's guards are more than qualified to be better at role-playing than any member that rightfully needs to play the instrument to perfection . . . . above all else.

Guards can change their look, feel, and movement as required per theme for that year. Same for DMs, and maybe soloists, too! Those performers need to wear the loose fitting garments. Yes, musicians can strike an occasional pose, but as a body of performers, need not become Guard members in addition to what is already provided by those who are better trained for that task.

My goodness, it's hard to find any green in Cavaliers these days.

Fred,

I agree with what you posted.  I applaud the efforts of Boston on the headwear, Bloo on attempting something modern, show oriented, yet unifying.

But it is your second paragraph that gets my standing ovation.  On his home team's thread elsewhere on DCP, Eleran makes the same point when doing some forensic accounting (the other Garfield will explain) on how much time the musicians/brassline is actually playing in the 12 minute routine. For his trumpeter it was just over five minutes; that means he shelled out his $5K for tour and ST/camps to the tune of ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS per minute.  Now some may rebut he was housed and fed for 90 days and got to travel to Denver and Rapid City, but most of the travel is in the dark, South Dakota was abbreviated and Denver show was cancelled with weather partially a factor and props reputed to harm the professional field (like Chester) was the other factor.  One Thousand dollars per minute for a musician is a hefty price to bear prancing, dancing, and looking silly. Eleran, I feel your pain. The whole cost of the activity (50K+ for "stairs", ugly garbs, and cancelled shows) is well out of line for all but the pampered only children.