What would you think if...

2 hours ago, One n Done said:

....you learned that a top 6 drum corps had wireless mic’s on over 30 of it’s brass players?  What about tempo remotely broadcast to in-ear units on performers in the field?

I would think drum corps are putting Sousaphones on the field. Which sin is less forgiving?

(p.s. I sorta dig the Sousa soloists. Shhh...) 🤫

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, One n Done said:

As yet, nobody seems too concerned that an advantage may OR may not be in play.  I’m more interested in what fans think vs. who the hypothetical transgressor might be.  There’s always been advantages to money.  Design, instruction, etc...  This may be different.  Decibels, tempo, selectively amplifying portions of a group in what are thought to be full ensemble moments.  Imagine the impact of having the advantage of projecting tempo to performers that is exactly what the group rehearses at and that accounts for discrepancies in staging/distance.  There are maybe 3 groups that can afford the equipment and people to do this.  If it WAS happening, how would you FEEL?

I feel that I don't care.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LyricalCoder said:

I would think drum corps are putting Sousaphones on the field. Which sin is less forgiving?

(p.s. I sorta dig the Sousa soloists. Shhh...) 🤫

Both Sousa soloists are phenomenal and I enjoy the sound sousaphones bring. I wouldn't want a whole line of them, but for timbre purposes I like them being included in solos and duets 

A week ago at the Winston-Salem show I sat in the blast zone, after a certain corps performed I turned to my friend and said that I thought it REALLY sounded like they had individual players mic'd all over the field, in addition to their way too hot soloist mics. Interestingly this happened to be the only top 6 corps that I haven't seen mentioned by name in this thread....

bluecoats

Edited by Beckham
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, One n Done said:

As yet, nobody seems too concerned that an advantage may OR may not be in play.  I’m more interested in what fans think vs. who the hypothetical transgressor might be.  There’s always been advantages to money.  Design, instruction, etc...  This may be different.  Decibels, tempo, selectively amplifying portions of a group in what are thought to be full ensemble moments.  Imagine the impact of having the advantage of projecting tempo to performers that is exactly what the group rehearses at and that accounts for discrepancies in staging/distance.  There are maybe 3 groups that can afford the equipment and people to do this.  If it WAS happening, how would you FEEL?

I’d feel like I was under the impression that it has already been happening for years now.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Beckham said:

A week ago at the Winston-Salem show I sat in the blast zone, after a certain corps performed I turned to my friend and said that I thought it REALLY sounded like they had individual players mic'd all over the field, in addition to their way too hot soloist mics. Interestingly this happened to be the only top 6 corps that I haven't seen mentioned by name in this thread....

bluecoats

If I had to guess any of the top 6, Bloo would be my first choice by a mile. But considering Ourobouros, I'm not too sure

• Like 4

This is an Electronics arm race people...

It is who can outspend who and who has the best sound guy.

Bluecoats is currently winning this arms race.. But I suspect some serious investment will be made by all finalists corps to make sure that they understand the soundscapes and fine tuning that needs to go into producing a 2020 DCI show on the field..

Having seen a good number of shows live in Buffalo, It is clearly obvious that every one is micing their members and choosing when and were to artificially increase their volumes.... The best are doing it and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Got word that there was even a presentation at one of the recent DCI meetings where a thorough presentation was done by said top corps about how little DCI staff knew about Soundscapes and the equipment required to do a good job at electronics on a football field.. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have been to many Bloo ensemble rehearsals. They talk about field mic balance (seldomly) and soloist mics. They never talk about individuals within an ensemble mix mic issues. So present your case plainly and clearly or drop Bloo from the conversation. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1