What would you think if...

12 hours ago, One n Done said:

As yet, nobody seems too concerned that an advantage may OR may not be in play.  I’m more interested in what fans think vs. who the hypothetical transgressor might be.  There’s always been advantages to money.  Design, instruction, etc...  This may be different.  Decibels, tempo, selectively amplifying portions of a group in what are thought to be full ensemble moments.  Imagine the impact of having the advantage of projecting tempo to performers that is exactly what the group rehearses at and that accounts for discrepancies in staging/distance.  There are maybe 3 groups that can afford the equipment and people to do this.  If it WAS happening, how would you FEEL?

They are cheating. Not surprised.  

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I have been to many Bloo ensemble rehearsals. They talk about field mic balance (seldomly) and soloist mics. They never talk about individuals within an ensemble mix mic issues. So present your case plainly and clearly or drop Bloo from the conversation. 

nah we can listen and make our own impressions. 

I’ve been under the impression the amplification improves the experience for those audience members sitting, say, outside the 20s. Don’t think I’d enjoy being down low directly across from a giant speaker, but if hundreds and maybe thousands more in the outer seating areas are getting a better sound experience, I’m all for this.

My question for those who’ve sat on the 5 yard line is, is the in-person audience sound experience now better than in was in earlier days?

As stated before, these shows (with all the goodies) come through to me just fine . . .  On Flo !

Edited by Fred Windish

The corps are evolving to match the current state of live performance, and the expectation of a listening public that is trained to experience live sound in a certain way. The questions being asked here are the wrong ones. Instead of asking "How does this compare to drum corps performances from 20 years ago," the designers are asking "How does this compare to other live performances in different genres/spaces."

The basic standard for live sound at this point, is to use technology (amplification, EQ, live effects, monitoring, etc) to maximize the sound quality, utilizing the performance space and bringing the best possible sound to the maximum number of people within that space. Every single live outdoor performance (or indoor large venues) uses amplification to balance and project to the listeners. Ever been to an outdoor orchestral performance? Yeah they're using individual and group amplification for reinforcement. Rock/Pop/Jazz/etc at a football stadium or large amphitheater? They're amplifying and using monitoring. It's about maximizing sound quality and clarity of intent. 

Yes, drum corps managed for decades without this, but times have changed and I GUARANTEE that your memories of those performances are colored by your own biases. If you time traveled back to the 70's to hear one those performances now, you would be struck at how muddled and unbalanced the sound feels now that your ears have become accustomed to the high level of sound production that is now being achieved on the field. ESPECIALLY when you consider that the recordings of those performances were recorded with multiple microphones, and then balanced, EQd, and mastered in a studio before being released. 

Times have changed, live sound design is infinitely better now, get a grip.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

What rule is being violated?

"The other team uses their electronics better than we do!" is not a rules violation.

Keep in mind this poster also calls judges "clowns" when he disagrees with their assessments. Take what is said with a grain of salt 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

The corps are evolving to match the current state of live performance, and the expectation of a listening public that is trained to experience live sound in a certain way. The questions being asked here are the wrong ones. Instead of asking "How does this compare to Drum Corps performances from 20 years ago," the designers are asking "How does this compare to other live performances in different genres/spaces."

11 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

And those that don't have the $ in their budget like the top level corps will never catch up. 

A simple baseball analogy will suffice.  Back about a decade or so, The Milwaukee Brewers or Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays would gladly taken on the New York Yankees for even "Salary vs. Salary"  I'm sure either team could easily have beat just "A-Rod" on the field.

Was told that Bluecoats on field mixer cost $25,000 for just the mixer alone. 

The guy running that board is from Cirque. His salary is substantial I would imagine. 30+ Mics, 4 Sound stacks on the front sideline, 

The investment surely has been made little by little over the years and the equipment has been taken care of, but it is well north of 100,000 at this point. 

And yes I would say that DCI is catching up to other performance idioms to match sound quality and enjoyment for all watching, not just those on the 50 at club level.

Though there is #### sure specific volume level patches that are preset for LOS. And other volume levels for small HS stadiums, and Large football arenas. It is that precise at the top of the activity right now.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

What rule is being violated?

"The other team uses their electronics better than we do!" is not a rules violation.

I thought having a tempo / metronome played in their ears or a metronome playing was against the rules? 

6 minutes ago, E3D said:

nah we can listen and make our own impressions. 

I can state with 100% confidence that there is not a select group in the Bloo ensemble that is miced to enhance the ensemble sound. There are soloists who are miced for their solos but their mics are off when they are not featured. But by all means believe what you want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1