What would you think if...

Switching (just for a moment) to the prevalence/preponderance of shotgun/field mics, has anyone noticed that for some corps these seem to pick up the battery (esp. snare/tenor rim shots) to the point where they are simply overpowering/oversaturating the sound coming from the field?   I noticed this a couple of times last night in Akron - I was thinking "no WAY rim shots are that crazy loud"...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Having gone to several shows live this year, I did notice multiple pit personnel using "In-Ears" as well.  I have no idea what is fed into the "In-Ears"...……………..

Are they used like ear buds or are they worn as ear protection?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

True but what if the speakers just played fart noises the whole time 

depends on the intended effect. if it was VK, it'd be a riot. If BD 2013 it'd be called high art

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, gak27 said:

Switching (just for a moment) to the prevalence/preponderance of shotgun/field mics, has anyone noticed that for some corps these seem to pick up the battery (esp. snare/tenor rim shots) to the point where they are simply overpowering/oversaturating the sound coming from the field?   I noticed this a couple of times last night in Akron - I was thinking "no WAY rim shots are that crazy loud"...

At my HS around 2011 we played around with Shot gun mics and we quickly learned that Shotgun mics are incredible sensitive. One mic can pick up sounds on on whole side of the field. They are particularly sensitive to Percussion. To the point that percussion instruments would distort the sound if you left the mics on the whole time.

If you watch the placement of the Brass in relation to the percussion you'll notice that when a technical phrase comes in, Now the norm is for the Drums to cut out. Or the drums are playing on side 1 while the brass are on side 2. The brass lick is on it own so that the Shotgun mics are turned on for the phrase and the hornline can worry about playing with a solid clean tone along with a million notes and not worry about projection. The mics and volume knob will do all the projection they need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Classical Gas

I always equate this (and Spinning Wheel) w/my Drum Corps practices BITD

Mason Williams

Edited by CorpwithanS

1 minute ago, barigirl78 said:

What would I think?

The more I hear about this stuff, it impacts how impressed I am with what I'm hearing.  If what I'm hearing is mostly a talented soundboard guy and expensive equipment, then the "wow" factor is gone.

On the other hand, it makes me more impressed by the corps who aren't doing it.  Maybe they don't sound as good, but at least it is authentic.

Legal or not, it's disappointing as a fan.

Imagine if baseball made steroids legal and, suddenly, the number of home runs doubled.  The home run would become less of impressive, as would the artificially pumped up players.

I share this sentiment, but all that I want is for my corps to be at the forefront of this technology. Right now they aren't and its hurting them in the Music captions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Thank you for your thoughtful response. But yes, I have access to closed rehearsals. You are right, I don’t know what is being communicated via phone or head set to the mixing board but I am still confident that there is no God squad ala SCV 2017 in Bloo. I will inquire about the bari mic.

I was in no way thinking Bloo was doing this. 

3 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

If what I'm hearing is mostly a talented soundboard guy and expensive equipment, then the "wow" factor is gone. ...

Legal or not, it's disappointing as a fan.

Exactly.   Someone earlier said that all music performances in large venues do it, even citing outdoor classical music.  Well, when I go to outdoor classical music I'm doing it to have a pleasant picnic, not to seriously listen for audio quality, since I know it's being delivered by speakers.  If I want my classical music to sound GOOD, I go to the concert hall where no self-respecting orchestra (or opera) is feeding their sound through microphones.   Same for drum corps - I want a live performance by the performers, not a mixed, filtered, aided-by-pre-recorded-tapes, designed and operated by adults with delusions of being DJs.   Give the performance BACK to the players.  Otherwise, just cancel the season and send us all a perfected recording from a sound studio.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1