What would you think if...

So? 24 trumpets doesn't put out the amount of sound necessary to fill up a stadium and adequately balance the frequency spectrum, nor negate the natural resonance of the venue, while blending with a front ensemble adequately (whether acoustic or amped), and providing a uniform experience for everyone in that stadium. 

It. Doesn't. Happen. 

Anyone who looks back at the pre-amplification years and thinks that corps were pulling that off adequately, are being influenced by their own biases. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I’m sad.

I'm sorry.  It's not you... it's me.

I also can't stand Mozart... but don't tell anyone.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Do you know some drumcorps that can only play at p-f that I don't know about?

I don't know of any corps like that, that are amplifying the entire corps all the time for the reasons that you are suggesting.  If you do, then name them.

#### dude, you really aren't keeping up are you? I said "dynamics as well as the rest of the corps". Jesus Christ. :wall:

23 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I have been to many Bloo ensemble rehearsals. They talk about field mic balance (seldomly) and soloist mics. They never talk about individuals within an ensemble mix mic issues. So present your case plainly and clearly or drop Bloo from the conversation. 

There's another thread where the "goo" (the synth bass) is talked about at length. I think most people in that thread agree that Bloo is the biggest offender/user of this. Take it for what it's worth. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

#### dude, you really aren't keeping up are you? I said "dynamics as well as the rest of the corps". Jesus Christ. :wall:

To be fair...your points aren't exactly clear, though I can't tell if it's because you're not explaining them clearly enough to be understood, or if you just don't understand the basics of acoustics and sound propagation. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Take it easy, friend.  It's just drumcorps.

Are you suggesting that amplifying a single individual or small group of people to match others is a possibility to artificially create ensemble balance?

• Like 1

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

Take it easy, friend.  It's just drumcorps.

Are you suggesting that amplifying a single individual or small group of people to match others is a possibility to artificially create ensemble balance?

Neither. Your argument that micing a soloist and micing different members of the corps because they can't keep up with the rest of the corps are two totally different things. Which is my point, but somehow you got it mixed up into something completely different.

6 minutes ago, Rylan said:

There's another thread where the "goo" (the synth bass) is talked about at length. I think most people in that thread agree that Bloo is the biggest offender/user of this. Take it for what it's worth. 

Except we aren’t talking about goo. We are talking about the top performers being miced to enhance the ensemble balance. 

Just now, Incognito365 said:

Neither. Your argument that micing a soloist and micing different members of the corps because they can't keep up with the rest of the corps are two totally different things. Which is my point, but somehow you got it mixed up into something completely different.

But I'm asking about what YOU mean.
If you'll let me start a conversation anew... just with you...

How do you see amplification being used (right now) in drumcorps (what is it being used to accomplish)?

How might you see it used in the future (especially the undesirable -to you- ways)?

• Like 1