What would you think if...

9 minutes ago, Rylan said:

There's another thread where the "goo" (the synth bass) is talked about at length. I think most people in that thread agree that Bloo is the biggest offender/user of this. Take it for what it's worth. 

Ha... I would put it on Phantom (from what I heard last night)... not that I care, they are ALL using it the same in reality.  But yes, "goo" is a different issue.

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

But I'm asking about what YOU mean.
If you'll let me start a conversation anew... just with you...

How do you see amplification being used (right now) in drumcorps (what is it being used to accomplish)?

How might you see it used in the future (especially the undesirable -to you- ways)?

Depends on the corps. Some corps don't use anything except for sideline mics and soloist mics. Others use mics on individuals which is what I don't agree with because it artificially enhances their abilities.

I don't know how it might be used in the future, that's not my problem, but I know that if it gets any worse than it currently is I will probably stop supporting the organization.

2 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Depends on the corps. Some corps don't use anything except for sideline mics and soloist mics. Others use mics on individuals which is what I don't agree with because it artificially enhances their abilities.

I don't know how it might be used in the future, that's not my problem, but I know that if it gets any worse than it currently is I will probably stop supporting the organization.

How are they using it on individuals that you know that it artificially enhances their abilities?  What do you KNOW that they are doing with that feed?

Edit:

If you can't say what you KNOW, then tell me what do you fear that they are doing with the feed?

Edited by cfirwin3

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

Nah!  I’ve rolled with every change.  You’re not going anywhere! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

How are they using it on individuals that you know that it artificially enhances their abilities?  What do you KNOW that they are doing with that feed?

I just know what I've been told from people on the inside. Well, a few people, but either way when they are reliable sources and they're telling me that they use soundboards and mixers to allow the artificial creation of dynamics it becomes a whole different beast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I have told so many family and friends that if public education went year long, I would find a new line of work...

I'm lying.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

When it becomes sound through 20 speakers instead of sound from 80 musicians I'll be out. Don't even have to worry about placing bets. At that point I can do the same thing at home with the equipment I have for half the cost of going to see a drum corps show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Except we aren’t talking about goo. We are talking about the top performers being miced to enhance the ensemble balance. 

...and this is where I think people are just not understanding the physics of the problem correctly. 

Mixing electronics (amplification or synthesis) with acoustic sounds is...tricky. Especially in a variable space that you don't get hours to tune (the system, not the horns) in. The goal is to bring all elements of the mix into the same "virtual space" so that the negative effects of the venue are negated and all parts can be heard as intended. 

The goal is not to "balance the ensemble" or "hide lesser players" at all...it's to balance the ROOM. 

To do that, amplifying every element becomes necessary in order to achieve the mix that sounds right and is EQd well in an imperfect venue, which is exactly what a football stadium is. 

• Like 4

Just now, Incognito365 said:

I just know what I've been told from people on the inside. Well, a few people, but either way when they are reliable sources and they're telling me that they use soundboards and mixers to allow the artificial creation of dynamics it becomes a whole different beast.

I think what we are discussing goes way beyond dynamics.