What would you think if...

Just now, E3D said:

I would argue that the line is not clearly drawn. Maybe because of the dog and pony show that was put on where one corps supposedly gave up all their secrets. :peek:

Nobody has 'secrets'.  Not in the interest of 'electronic competition'.  They are borrowing and learning from all over the place.  They are sharing and trading best practices constantly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

You need to look closer at the sheets.  Bluecoats are scoring in the top 2-3 (occasionally achieving 1) on visual.  They peak the classic visual demand for marching and maneuvering by the end of the introductory statement... and there's a whole lot more left after that.

'Depends on the music and falls flat on it's face visually'... wishful thinking.

Did you READ my post?   Because it’s obvious I can read the recap. Sure they’re getting numbers. I know exactly what those sheets say and more importantly what their intent was and how they were used before the advent of mic-ageddon .  Sure the GE sheets support the style. But the VA and VP sheets don’t — AT ALL.   My point is that it’s just not supported by the sheets as they were written and understood at the time they were written.  They are being  “interpreted”.   Interesting that this is the only point in the post you chose to respond to.   Wonder why that could be?  Easy to dismiss if you want just attack the  poster instead of the post.  As I said this approach is being advocated by a handful of designers who imagine themselves creating “Broadway” productions. That precise word is being used out loud to both the judges and the performers.  And it’s a complete fabrication.   

And I could just as easily have SCV as Bloo. It’s not about the corps.  It’s about the nonsense being propagated. 

Edited by karuna

48 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

That's not how it works. 

:worthy:  sure. 

48 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

No.  You can't.

sure you can. Once you introduce electronics there is nothing stopping anyone from "fooling a stranger in the alps."

52 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

My opinions aren't really opinions, more objective observations based on my extensive and continued work with live sound reinforcement, music technology, electroacoustic composition and acoustics/psychoacoustics/sound propagation (and several advanced degrees in these fields). 

This why when people say things like "easy button" and "balance was better in the 70s!" it's a bit triggering...because it's scientifically, demonstrably, objectively, false. 

Lol. SCIENCE!!!   

Just now, cixelsyd said:

Maybe DCI has more "dazzle" to offer now, but they have less "contest" (and historically, less audience)...

That's not true.  The venues are getting bigger and more frequent.

The Akron shoe the other night was triple the size from where it was a couple of years ago.  The seating rivaled finals audience sizes from decades ago.

People aren't dropping out of drumcorp en masse.  Fans are being made and the activity is thriving.  15th place drumcorps are on fire with their content and execution.

• Like 3

I find this thread to be a hilarious waste of time. 

The Bluecoats were one of the corps back in the day that resisted the rule changes that still have people riled up.  But, the rules were passed and life goes on.  Now, some seem to think the Bluecoats and others are somehow wrong for being innovative, creative and competitive within these rules.  I get you don't like the rules but why bash any of these hard working corps for working effectively within them? 

I was at the Akron show and truly enjoyed every one of the corps from Crossmen to Bluecoats.  I have been watching drum corps off and on since 1969 and this is the first time I can honestly say that.  It is clear to me that this is a much more impressive and enjoyable competition today than it used to be.  Is that due at least in part to amplification?  Don't know and don't care.  I, along with everyone else in the stadium it would appear, were greatly entertained by 9 hardworking and extremely talented drum corps.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

Did you READ my post?   Because it’s obvious I can read the recap. Sure they’re getting numbers. I know exactly what those sheets say and more importantly what their intent was and how they were used before the advent of mic-ageddon .  Sure the GE sheets support the style. But the VA and VP sheets don’t — AT ALL.   My point is that it’s just not supported by the sheets as they were written and understood at the time they were written.  They are being  “interpreted”.   Interesting that this is the only point in the post you chose to respond to.   Wonder why that could be?  Easy to dismiss if you want just attack the  poster instead of the post.  As I said this approach is being advocated by a handful of designers who imagine themselves creating “Broadway” productions. That precise word is being used out loud to both the judges and the performers.  And it’s a complete fabrication.   

I addressed your post with the score sheet and the presence of high demand classic visual drill that you are ignoring.  I gave one example at the start but there are dozens.

You are positing that my arguments are only bias... but accuse me of attack you.

Nonsense.

2 minutes ago, justafan said:

I find this thread to be a hilarious waste of time. 

The Bluecoats were one of the corps back in the day that resisted the rule changes that still have people riled up.  But, the rules were passed and life goes on.  Now, some seem to think the Bluecoats and others are somehow wrong for being innovative, creative and competitive within these rules.  I get you don't like the rules but why bash any of these hard working corps for working effectively within them? 

I was at the Akron show and truly enjoyed every one of the corps from Crossmen to Bluecoats.  I have been watching drum corps off and on since 1969 and this is the first time I can honestly say that.  It is clear to me that this is a much more impressive and enjoyable competition today than it used to be.  Is that due at least in part to amplification?  Don't know and don't care.  I, along with everyone else in the stadium it would appear, were greatly entertained by 9 hardworking and extremely talented drum corps.

This is not just about the bluecoats. Some posting here have made it that way but it is not. 

"reinforcement" falling off the chair lmao. 

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

I addressed your post with the score sheet and the presence of high demand classic visual drill that you are ignoring.  I gave one example at the start but there are dozens.

You are positing that my arguments are only bias... but accuse me of attack you.

Nonsense.

Maybe you should go read it again. Because that was only a small incidental part of the post.