What would you think if...

12 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I don't think that equation can work.  In fact, it ends up being the opposite.

Being amplified means you better get it clean... otherwise everyone will know what you got wrong.

I wasn’t thinking wrong notes. I was thinking of that blend that some are so hot and heavy over. 

Reminds me of the old Red Skelton show taped with live audience. Years later Red admitted there were a couple of miles about the audience. If one section wasn’t laughing too hard then their Mike got tuned down and another Mike was turned up.

10 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Nobody has 'secrets'.  Not in the interest of 'electronic competition'.  They are borrowing and learning from all over the place.  They are sharing and trading best practices constantly.

Hu? Every Corps has secrets or special unique ways of doing anything. Its competition not hobby lobby. 

Hey lets make sure no audio reinforcement terrorist show up to LOS. Otherwise we will have to stop the shows and let them start back up. 

• Confused 1

Just now, justafan said:

I find this thread to be a hilarious waste of time. 

The Bluecoats were one of the corps back in the day that resisted the rule changes that still have people riled up.  But, the rules were passed and life goes on.  Now, some seem to think the Bluecoats and others are somehow wrong for being innovative, creative and competitive within these rules.

Yep.

I was there.  They were not budging on the addition of electronics.  Most of those people are still with the corps.

People don't know the history.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Do "I" think that?  Or was that a rhetorical question?

Obviously, I don't think DCP is significant to anyone but fans of the activity... for the purposes of what fans do.

rhetorical. I know what you think.

let's be honest....for the last 10 years, with all of the rules changes and hand wringing and drum corps is dying BS spewed on here....attendance is going up. If enough people truly had that many issues, they'd stop going. And the one thing that WILL get DCI's attention is if attendance starts to see huge drops and revenues go down. At that point, they may change something, outside of venues raising issues like field damage, power needed, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

I wasn’t thinking wrong notes. I was thinking of that blend that some are so hot and heavy over. 

Reminds me of the old Red Skelton show taped with live audience. Years later Red admitted there were a couple of miles about the audience. If one section wasn’t laughing too hard then their Mike got tuned down and another Mike was turned up.

But this is not how it is being applied.  Nobody can point to this type of usage.  Besides, balance and blend is a mechanical enterprise in drumcorps.  Nobody is listening for it in the ensemble because it is impossible.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Fred, I know you're no rookie in the activity but, even as a non-musician, you've been around enough to know that this statement isn't true.  In fact, I would contend under existing judging rules, it CAN'T be true.

First, what part of the judge's score on existing sheets rewards a corps for the "applause meter" of the audience?  And, if it's legitimately adjudicated at all, what weight in the overall score does it have in the final score?

"Thunderous Goo" originally described the reverberation effect of A&E in The Oil Can and, it got so bad with the intro of A&E that DCI stopped selling seats in the upper sections of the stadium.  Has the Goo gotten any better because A&E today better aligns the wave forms of existential reality for 11 minutes while a corps is playing?  I say, No, it hasn't.  It's still thunderous Goo reverbing and echoing around the tin can called LOS.  The amps are still at 11 or 12 no matter if it's brown notes or screaming sops or quads on boxes.

The "V" in design programming is still alive and well, this year and now, and for all coming years until the judges are moved out of the box.  And until then, the design decisions, all of them, are made for only the people judging the show, not the fans in the stands.

if audience appears on the sheets, it's because the judge is the intended audience. fan reactions aren't taken into account. And while DCA has a sheet that kind of says that, in reality isn't taken into account there either

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Fred, I know you're no rookie in the activity but, even as a non-musician, you've been around enough to know that this statement isn't true.  In fact, I would contend under existing judging rules, it CAN'T be true.

First, what part of the judge's score on existing sheets rewards a corps for the "applause meter" of the audience?  And, if it's legitimately adjudicated at all, what weight in the overall score does it have in the final score?

"Thunderous Goo" originally described the reverberation effect of A&E in The Oil Can and, it got so bad with the intro of A&E that DCI stopped selling seats in the upper sections of the stadium.  Has the Goo gotten any better because A&E today better aligns the wave forms of existential reality for 11 minutes while a corps is playing?  I say, No, it hasn't.  It's still thunderous Goo reverbing and echoing around the tin can called LOS.  The amps are still at 11 or 12 no matter if it's brown notes or screaming sops or quads on boxes.

The "V" in design programming is still alive and well, this year and now, and for all coming years until the judges are moved out of the box.  And until then, the design decisions, all of them, are made for only the people judging the show, not the fans in the stands.

correction...it's thunderous goo in any venue

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

let's be honest....for the last 10 years, with all of the rules changes and hand wringing and drum corps is dying BS spewed on here....attendance is going up

I'd be a lot more comfortable accepting that blanket statement if DCI provided attendance figures for all shows, not just Finals.  

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

But this is not how it is being applied.  Nobody can point to this type of usage.  Besides, balance and blend is a mechanical enterprise in drumcorps.  Nobody is listening for it in the ensemble because it is impossible.

Is not DCI using amped miles for soloists so they “can be heard”. IMO that’s using electronics to get the soloist vs rest of corps sound balanced better. 

What is “it” in the ensemble? Not sure what you mean.

52 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Not at all, as you are imputing to me an argument that was not mine.

My argument has always been that they sound better without the electronics/amplification, hence the comment that they sound better during encores.

I have experienced far more goosebumps in "the Lot" than on the field of late.  "The lot is not a bot".  Battery without the pit is a real treat. Brass without electronic reinforcement is what addicted me to this activity some 50 some odd years ago. I find the low-end synth as akin to what gangbangers generate driving around my neighborhood at 3 a.m. to demonstrate their manliness. The sound is personally grating to me. The high-end amplification for soloists sounds "fake" and I resent having to visually search the field or the pit in order to locate the geographical location of said performer before the passage ends.

• Like 1