What would you think if...

It’s kind of funny ... I was driving a good chunk of the day to come to Indy ... I read everything up to some page in the 40’s ... the discussion centered on A&E. I came back and said to myself, let’s  just go to the end, and lo and behold, I jump into a discussion about the tic system. What a weird world we live in!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

Some might not wait for those changes.

bye

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What if the changes that have been made are in fact backwards?

in your opinion. in the opinion of the fans that keep filling stadiums, not so much

10 hours ago, garfield said:

And to add, I think the claim is that the technique used to hear the pit back then was destructive to hands and playing quality.  Yet, compare two pits from before and after amps and the change is technique in almost all except the pp portions is largely the same.  But, of course, six marimbas all playing pp is not quite pp now, is it?

It's the banging the amp-proponents object to; I contend there's just as much banging on the keys today as then.

There's a lot more emoting though!

i'll put the technique changes this way:

I know lots of pit performers from the 80's and 90's with ####ed up wrists.

I know a lot of pit performers after 2004 with far fewer wrist issues

10 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Yeah we have been down that road.  I certainly can't disagree with that... But it seems to me that occasional mishaps with electronics are not much different than what can happen in the drill or in a solo.  Judges tend not to get too riled up over occasional mishaps of any sort (like when a few members trip and fall).  They are more interested in the systemic issues.

i'm not talking about occasional mishap. Crown 17 is a perfect example.

9 hours ago, E3D said:

Part of your statement is stupid in my opinion,  but part of it really has merit. A change to what is going on now would not necessarily mean backwards. YMDV

When I really want to know what a DL or Brass line sound like - I go out to the lot and listen. 

backwards is in the eye of the beer holder. to those designing shows, it's backwards.

6 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Because sound designers usually get hours or days in a space to tune it correctly. In DCI that doesn't happen. 

LOS sounds the best because they've been there for years, and have detailed information about the venue. That cumulative knowledge has allowed them to tune their scenes over the past 10 seasons or so. That doesn't happen when they are in a random football stadium for a few minutes. Someone mentioned earlier that the Bluecoats team has a book with the characteristics of each venue, and make generic scenes based on the information they have. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't right off the back. 

I will agree though, that I think judges need to deeply penalize the groups that fail to balance to the space and cause electronics issues. 

You have raised dozens of great point I pretty much agree with, so I'll ask this question:

Why in the hell do so few corps use sound checks?

6 hours ago, One n Done said:

As a refresher, the question of the post wasn’t whether or not amplification was a good or bad thing.  I don’t believe anyone is wrong for liking what they like.  The intention was more to get folks to consider obvious differences in audio engineering abilities and budget in a competitive setting.  At points, I also tried to get people to consider what diverting limited resources might mean for groups and their members.  

There are more resources demanded than just that of money.  All that sound equipment, on average, is unloaded , assembled, moved, disassembled, and loaded TWICE a day.  It’s not roadies that are doing this, it’s members.  The same is true of props.  They are needed to rehearse and perform.  We have kids burning upwards of 3-4 hours each day loading and building props.  

It is obtuse to imply that sound and props don’t impact perception and even placement.  It is callous to say, “well, go make more money”.  Fans are seeing and hearing an unbelievable level of entertainment.  But, consider the cost and what it might be taking away from the member experience and strain it places on each organization.  

ok, so how are amps and props helping say Spirit? Cadets? 

6 hours ago, Precious Roy said:

So, is this like an Alabama vs Auburn thing? Do I HAVE to pick one side or the other? Yes A&E or no A&E?

Because (and I mentioned this in another thread) if there happened to be a "throwback" or "classic" division in some drum corps circuit somewhere (be it DCI, DCA, or something completely new), where there was no A&E, and the only "props" allowed were flags, rifles, and sabers, and the quality was good enough for me, I would totally support it by attending shows or buying media or streaming access or whatever. But whether or not that happens, I will continue to also enjoy and support the current version of DCI -- A&E and megaprop warts and all.

DCA hosts an alumni show every year finals weekend. It's been so outrageously popular it usually draws about 1000 paying fans and has now been moved indoors.