What would you think if...

31 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Again, you're ignoring everything that doesn't fit your narrative, ...

To connect it back to the topic at hand...how many of the corps this year are playing Mozart? Brahms? Beethoven?

And you're ignoring every realm of music which doesn't fit YOUR narrative.  Let me know in 300 years if anyone's still playing the bulk of modern electronic music.

As for the bringing it back to Drum Corps:

(A) Classical non-electronic music did not end at 1900 (ish)

(B) But even using that cut off point, 5 of the last 10 years in DCI at least one medalist used music from that time period.   If you include Samuel Barber and Aaron Copland, then it climbs to 8 out of the last 10 years.  

Edited by Eleran

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and high school band has been allowing electronics way longer than DCI has

So what.

High School Band is not DCI. But It will be soon once WGI makes woodwinds ok in DCI shows. :whistle:

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

And as long as we're bringing it back to "what music DCI corps use", a heck of a lot of the most recent modern composed music was original written for British Brass Bands.  When they at their yearly competitions playing that same music as originally composed ... are THEY using sound engineers?

17 minutes ago, Eleran said:

And you're ignoring every realm of music which doesn't fit YOUR narrative.  Let me know in 300 years if anyone's still playing the bulk of modern electronic music.

As for the bringing it back to Drum Corps:

(A) Classical non-electronic music did not end at 1900 (ish)

(B) But even using that cut off point, 5 of the last 10 years in DCI at least one medalist used music from that time period.   If you include Samuel Barber and Aaron Copland, then it climbs to 8 out of the last 10 years.  

This is opening a musicological can of worms, but yes, classical common practice music effectively ended at the start of Modernism which began around the turn of the 20th century. 

Modernism brought an embrace of advancing technology, the need to experiment, the creation of the "genius" composer and the idea the each composer had to have their own signature brand. While some composers might have stayed the course, the trajectory of western classical music shifted dramatically in various directions. Barber and Copland were Modernists (sounds familiar I think?) each inspired by different influences, but still. While this doesn't directly correlate to the use of music technology (even tube based devices wouldn't show up for another few decades) it set the stage for the quick adoption of these devices for musical expression. 

The point of this being, the style periods of Western Classical music that are accompany the most resistance to the use of technology generally come before 1900. 

Though, why we're debating this point, I'm not really sure. I think you're just grabbing onto any point that you think you can make an argument out of, rather than address the actual questions at hand. Read the article I posted, it's one example of a major instrumental music organization that is using the same techniques I've described in the thread to change the acoustics of the venue. 

Another quote: ""If we're playing a piece from the Middle Ages that was performed originally in a cathedral, we can change the sound in this room to have the sort of delay and rolloff that would exist in an actual cathedral,""

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Read the article I posted, it's one example of a major instrumental music organization that is using the same techniques I've described in the thread to change the acoustics of the venue. 

Change it's secondary venue, holding at most 500, for mostly modern and experimental works.  It's not replacing Davies Hall any time soon.  

1 hour ago, One n Done said:

You prove my point, somewhat.  Ten years ago we began seeing and hearing the obvious amplification of full ensemble brass.  We still have groups that consider amplification’s purpose as primarily boosting the front ensemble and generation of sound effects.  The best, Bloo, uses amplification to enhance ALL voices in their ensemble as well as create staging possibilities that would be impossible otherwise.  I don’t believe that either group you mentioned has the money, audio staff, or philosophy of use that the top 3 have.

philosophy has nothing to do wiith money. it's like continuing to run for 11 minutes as opposed to doing a more a modern visual package

Edited by Jeff Ream

5 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

In the wrealm of opinion v. facts... THIS should be called out because it assigns motive and action to multiple parties on the pure assumption of conspiracy rather than verification.

It remains that other (more likely, non conspiratorial) motives exist, explaining the addoption of various techniques.

Like what?

What hasn't been mentioned in this discussion about a charge to 'sameness' is the fact that electronic usage is quite varied.  Apart from the use of sub bass (which they all do differently) and the use of general amplification (mostly for staged solos), the configurations, filtering effects, sample usage, etc. is vastly different show to show and year to year.

Yeah, except for the sub bass, and the obligatory solo mics, and that every corps uses synth, amplifies marimbas, spreads speakers across the front of the sound stage... they are all different?

You coined the phrase very well - "charge to sameness".  Thank you.

28 minutes ago, E3D said:

So what.

High School Band is not DCI. But It will be soon once WGI makes woodwinds ok in DCI shows. :whistle:

band has been pushing the envelope, and kids want the same at drum corps. the days of DCI being the driver for the marching arts is long gone

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Change it's secondary venue, holding at most 500, for mostly modern and experimental works.  It's not replacing Davies Hall any time soon.  

So? They still play pieces from all periods in there. Why are you so focused on the orchestra? It's one very small slice of the instrumental music community, and is considered a dying medium by most composers. You're ignoring the vast majority of instrumental music so you can hold on to this puzzling argument about the use of technology. 

Technology has been fully embraced and is used to improve instrumental music performances across genres. Sorry if that doesn't jive with your argument. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac