What would you think if...

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

Like options and diversity of sound... Which was the point of the change.

If "options" and "diversity" were the goals, then why do we not see any of these options in practice?  Pit amplification was promoted an alternative to the proliferation of pit equipment; where are the smaller pits?  "Any-key brass" (haha) was proposed to provide options to the G horns that only certain manufacturers were making; they still make them, so where are they?  We are thisclose to all brass soloists being amplified now; where are the acoustic solo options?  

At one moment people are talking about the 'top secret' methods that one corps has (which isn't true)... and in the next moment the same folks are talking about a conspiracy to disseminate the same methods and gear to give judges kickbacks (for the half dozen rigs that are purchased every year).  Those companies make more money on churches and regional theaters in week than they make on drumcorps in a year.

hilarious.

If you want to believe that it's all corrupt then I can't stop you.  But it isn't.

You said "corrupt", not me.

It is just business.  And that business is not about selling to drum corps, but to the larger marching music activity - primarily, the scholastic marching bands.  There are only about 45 drum corps in DCI, but the competitive HS marching band activity numbers over 5,000 bands.  Probably just as many more HS and college bands that do not compete would still use much of the same types of equipment.  DCI has become the sales showroom for marching music equipment of all types (except woodwinds, but I am sure that will be an "option" soon).

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

If "options" and "diversity" were the goals, then why do we not see any of these options in practice?  Pit amplification was promoted an alternative to the proliferation of pit equipment; where are the smaller pits?  "Any-key brass" (haha) was proposed to provide options to the G horns that only certain manufacturers were making; they still make them, so where are they?  We are thisclose to all brass soloists being amplified now; where are the acoustic solo options?  

You said "corrupt", not me.

It is just business.  And that business is not about selling to drum corps, but to the larger marching music activity - primarily, the scholastic marching bands.  There are only about 45 drum corps in DCI, but the competitive HS marching band activity numbers over 5,000 bands.  Probably just as many more HS and college bands that do not compete would still use much of the same types of equipment.  DCI has become the sales showroom for marching music equipment of all types (except woodwinds, but I am sure that will be an "option" soon).

Where is that tin foil hat emoticon... It must be somewhere around here?

From what I can see, you appear to be cherry picking causes for change (straight up inventing some of them, as is the case with the G instruments issue) and then putting all of your eggs in those baskets.  No wonder it all looks like conspiracy to you.

That woodwind theory is coming up on about 25 years in age.

DCA and other vintage organizations still purchase horns in G.  Brass makers sell thousands of instruments in G, Bb, F, Eb, A, C... Etc.  There's nothing special about G horns.  I played on them.  Just like there's nothing all that special about mic'ing a soloist in an outdoor venue.

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Not for the last 17 years. 

Maybe I should have been more specific.

- In Japan, drum corps does not use electronics.

- Nor do most alumni corps.

- I enjoy DCI, DCA and European drum corps to whatever extent I can, focusing on the portion of their sound that is acoustic.  

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe I should have been more specific.

- In Japan, drum corps does not use electronics.

- Nor do most alumni corps.

- I enjoy DCI, DCA and European drum corps to whatever extent I can, focusing on the portion of their sound that is acoustic.  

Ok, so a small sub division, of an already niche activity. 

Compelling.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Okay, then, guess how many DCA competitors are using G horns.  (Hint - rhymes with "done".)

They used them for over a decade after the DCI switch started.

There's another place that is popular for drumcorps.  It rhymes with... okay... it's Japan.  Also the Euro circuits.  The world is a big place and manufacturers will certainly sell to buyers that aren't American.  There is still 1 very high profile group that still purchases a new line of G Kanstul horns regularly.  If you don't know who that is...