What would you think if...

32 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

They used them for over a decade after the DCI switch started.

There's another place that is popular for drumcorps.  It rhymes with... okay... it's Japan.  Also the Euro circuits.  The world is a big place and manufacturers will certainly sell to buyers that aren't American.  There is still 1 very high profile group that still purchases a new line of G Kanstul horns regularly.  If you don't know who that is...

All of which dodges the issue of why there was a "DCI switch" instead of the "options" portrayed at voting time.

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

All of which dodges the issue of why there was a "DCI switch" instead of the "options" portrayed at voting time.

Most shows are using Bb, F.  Many are using D, Eb, C, A.  The Bluecoats give you at least 3 transpositions in the first 20 seconds.  And that doesn't even address the variety of key systems with attachment switches.  When you have all of that... why on earth would you use a G instrument intended for a matched ensemble set?  Those G horns are not the least bit special.

Why the diversion to this topic?

Edited by cfirwin3

On 8/7/2019 at 6:44 PM, One n Done said:

I had information that I trusted (and still do).  Though I, like others, have had suspicions-I got confirmation from participants whom I do not doubt.  It was a little shocking.  Especially having recently heard that group.  A group without field mics and one that was remarkably louder than it’s close competitors.  I shared the information I was comfortable with.  Naming such a group is not something I’d do, as there are kids on the field to consider.  It’s the actions of the adults that I question and one that I wanted explored in the community.  I felt the best way to generate discussion was in the manner I did.  I’ve largely stayed out of the back and forth, but appreciate the views shared by all.  I’ve no expectations beyond that some of us may be a little more knowledgeable at this point and perhaps a bit more discerning in how we consume the activity.

Edited by dci76
Not worth it

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

They used them for over a decade after the DCI switch started.

There's another place that is popular for drumcorps.  It rhymes with... okay... it's Japan.  Also the Euro circuits.  The world is a big place and manufacturers will certainly sell to buyers that aren't American.  There is still 1 very high profile group that still purchases a new line of G Kanstul horns regularly.  If you don't know who that is...

Over a decade for DCA then when it came time to replace the horns cheaper to go Bb as more brand choices. My old alumni corps finally got everyone on 3v G from same manufacturer. Made it just as used G market dried up about 15 years ago. 

And don’t forget that high profile group buys 2v and not 3v. and Kanstul is only one making new Gs last I heard. 

Played G on piston/rotor, 2v and 3v and can’t tell if hearing Bb or G hornlines. Any difference my untrained ear (I work IT) notices can be chalked up to different manufacturers.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

Most shows are using Bb, F.  Many are using D, Eb, C, A.  The Bluecoats give you at least 3 transpositions in the first 20 seconds.  And that doesn't even address the variety of key systems with attachment switches.  When you have all of that... why on earth would you use a G instrument intended for a matched ensemble set?  Those G horns are not the least bit special.

Why the diversion to this topic?

You were the one who said options and diversity of sound were reasons for a rule change.  So this is your, um, diversion.

Edited by cixelsyd

15 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You were the one who said options and diversity of sound were reasons for a rule change.  So this is your, um, diversion.

If we’re talking about going to all key I remember two of the reasons that were given when I was on RAMD. First was Bb horns had a better chance of being resold to other groups or people. Second was people could bring their own horns if joining a start up corps that couldn’t afford a full set of horns. 

Second idea never really planned out and no idea if the first one really worked. That really sucked about the startups as that was a big reason why I decided it was a good idea

Edited by JimF-LowBari

17 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Nice try.  But one doesn't lead to the other without your response.

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

philosophy has nothing to do wiith money. it's like continuing to run for 11 minutes as opposed to doing a more a modern visual package

Not sure what you’re trying to convey with your response, besides a need to be contrary.

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

How naive.

What happens in reality is that a device not traditionally allowed in the activity is lobbied for as an "option".  The rule change only passes with the understanding that the new expense is really just an "option".  Not long after passage, judges (some of whom are paid endorsers for the manufacturers of the new device) suddenly decide, as a community, that the new "option" is the preferred sound.  Corps who use it get additional credit over corps who do not.  This forces every competitive corps to adopt the device.

Completely disagree. Judging standards are decided with both judges and corps during the meetings. Judges don't just decide all by themselves what and how to evaluate their captions.

If you listened to the interview Dennis Delucia had this evening with the three people, you saw exactly what I was saying is true. Hardy naive. Miccing was added to improve the sound, first of the pit, then soloists and now more of the brass. The sound engineer who works with Bloo gave a very good explanation of how they are using amplification for sound reinforcement. Wayne Dillon spoke about field brass judging and how they are judging the individual performance of the performers. Both of them were saying things I have said here. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and high school band has been allowing electronics way longer than DCI has

I saw bands in the early 70's using guitars, esp bass guitars. One I saw marched with the drumline and had a "roadie" pushing an amp, speakers and a battery behind the guitarist.

• Like 1