What would you think if...

20 hours ago, One n Done said:

As yet, nobody seems too concerned that an advantage may OR may not be in play.  I’m more interested in what fans think vs. who the hypothetical transgressor might be.  There’s always been advantages to money.  Design, instruction, etc...  This may be different.  Decibels, tempo, selectively amplifying portions of a group in what are thought to be full ensemble moments.  Imagine the impact of having the advantage of projecting tempo to performers that is exactly what the group rehearses at and that accounts for discrepancies in staging/distance.  There are maybe 3 groups that can afford the equipment and people to do this.  If it WAS happening, how would you FEEL?

If it sounds great then I don’t care at all.

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Not anymore.....

It's that good and subtle. These hornlines are still very loud on their own, They are just loud and focused and balanced at all times.. 

So to me its not Cheating, Its giving the designers a way for the audience to hear exactly what they want us to hear all the time regardless of the field placement.

I LOVE the consistent sound mix.  It sounds so much better in an indoor venue then prior to the technology especially when you’re not between the 40’s.  Definitely a win for the audience!

Hey... Had to share.

I was working on a difficult passage in my trumpet study the other day.  It had dynamic contrast and an awkward fingering pattern.  It took me a while, but then I realized that I just needed to feed my shabby playing through electronic amplification... and suddenly it was all perfect (I had forgotten that this is what works for DCI).

This topic is as dumb as a skid of bricks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Speaking as someone who’s played with in ear click tracks in pit bands when we have to sync up with a computer track, they’re not as helpful as you’d think, much easier to lock in to a group or conductor- I realize the numbers are bigger but I still can’t imagine why a corps would want each individual member to lock in to their own sense of a click track in ear. And I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be issues getting these alleged wireless metronomes to sync. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, mfrontz47 said:

Speaking as someone who’s played with in ear click tracks in pit bands when we have to sync up with a computer track, they’re not as helpful as you’d think, much easier to lock in to a group or conductor- I realize the numbers are bigger but I still can’t imagine why a corps would want each individual member to lock in to their own sense of a click track in ear. And I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be issues getting these alleged wireless metronomes to sync. 

The Dr. Beat on field you can hear how the group lines up with the metronome, but having it in the ear makes it hard to hear yourself and everyone else. Couldn’t see why that’s helpful. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Here’s my question:  

If the sound person is so much an integral part of the show, are they allowed to be over 22?

Yes. 

4 minutes ago, mfrontz47 said:

And the DM for Coats definitely doesn’t have an in ear monitor.  

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

Hey... Had to share.

I was working on a difficult passage in my trumpet study the other day.  It had dynamic contrast and an awkward fingering pattern.  It took me a while, but then I realized that I just needed to feed my shabby playing through electronic amplification... and suddenly it was all perfect (I had forgotten that this is what works for DCI).

This topic is as dumb as a skid of bricks.

I think you're being a little disingenuous or obtuse here. There are some actual implications to all this and while I don't want to assume, I suspect your aloofness regarding the subject has a little bit (okay, a lot) to do with the fact that your favorite corps has pioneered the electronics arms race. 

The main negative implication (the answer to your "who cares") is that this will only move to further the disparity between corps that do have the funds to keep up and those that do not. Allowing corps to essentially have a metronome in their ear and wireless mics for half the hornline will allow some corps to get more creative in show design and at the same time reduce environmental difficulties of the things that they are doing. 

Not to mention that this IS a judged activity and honestly if we're going to allow metronomes to be used then what's the point of the drum major? What's stopping a corps from deciding to autotune some of their brass output? I think it's against the spirit of the activity, the kids are there to be challenged and to learn. Now if we're turning DCI into an exhibition then fine, let's make it a free for all. 

I'd just hate to create a G7 type situation where corps without the money don't stand a chance to compete because they can't afford to use the equipment that the top 6 or so corps use 

• Like 6