What would you think if...

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

I just know what I've been told from people on the inside. Well, a few people, but either way when they are reliable sources and they're telling me that they use soundboards and mixers to allow the artificial creation of dynamics it becomes a whole different beast.

Do you know in what manner they are accomplishing this... or is it just a general assertion?

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think what we are discussing goes way beyond dynamics.

Oh, it 100% does, but that's the example that I can currently give with the information that I have been given.

• Like 1

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

Do you know in what manner they are accomplishing this... or is it just a general assertion?

All it takes is turning one up or down. Keep the corps/band playing at a single volume, use the mixer/soundboard to artificially create those dynamics. I've also seen it in the high school marching band world too. Basically anyone with a half decent system can artificially create something that other corps do while playing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

...and this is where I think people are just not understanding the physics of the problem correctly. 

Mixing electronics (amplification or synthesis) with acoustic sounds is...tricky. Especially in a variable space that you don't get hours to tune (the system, not the horns) in. The goal is to bring all elements of the mix into the same "virtual space" so that the negative effects of the venue are negated and all parts can be heard as intended. 

The goal is not to "balance the ensemble" or "hide lesser players" at all...it's to balance the ROOM. 

To do that, amplifying every element becomes necessary in order to achieve the mix that sounds right and is EQd well in an imperfect venue, which is exactly what a football stadium is. 

I'll tell you what... if I was mic'ing all of my tubas... I would process it to generate my sub-bass "goo" signal more organically than adding a synth sine.

But that's just what I would do.  And perhaps that's where some of this discussion overlaps.  It's all about what they are doing with the signal... it may not be what people automatically assume.

• Like 2

The competitive parity argument is silly. In the 80s Cadets (and others) worked out how to do (write, teach, clean) fast, flowing drill and the marching technique to make it good. I don't see why pushing the activity that way is OK but innovating with electronics/sound design isn't.

In the last 5-15 years, Bluecoats have led the way in

Quality and integration of props

Section writing for tubas

Show-wear

Use of electronics and mics

Entertainment, arguably

Thank you very much, you have a very nice drum corps.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

All it takes is turning one up or down. Keep the corps/band playing at a single volume, use the mixer/soundboard to artificially create those dynamics. I've also seen it in the high school marching band world too. Basically anyone with a half decent system can artificially create something that other corps do while playing.

That strategy won't work as it sounds in theory.  Not in a way that would actually improve the sound of any contending World Class group.  The timbral differences won't mix properly.

There is a lack of velocity samples (in sampled library terms).

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

Just now, Incognito365 said:

False. 

This is just not supported by fact in any way shape or form. You know what happens when you turn down a system while the ensemble plays the same volume? THE COLOR AND TIMBRE CHANGES. The mix between the electronic and acoustic instruments is ripped apart and the two are heard as separate entities. That is antithetical to the entire goal of these systems, and these engineers (who I'm sure are being paid tons of cash) would never let that happen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FTNK said:

The competitive parity argument is silly. In the 80s Cadets (and others) worked out how to do (write, teach, clean) fast, flowing drill and the marching technique to make it good. I don't see why pushing the activity that way is OK but innovating with electronics/sound design isn't.

In the last 5-15 years, Bluecoats have led the way in

Quality and integration of props

Section writing for tubas

Show-wear

Use of electronics and mics

Entertainment, arguably

Thank you very much, you have a very nice drum corps.

Everyone has an imaginary Rubicon that they say they won’t cross.   It’s usually ########. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Even more than this. We are talking edging the the top performers of an elite ensemble to be emphasized by amplification. So the best of an an already elite ensemble is always a smidge more audible and clarified over the rest.  

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2