What would you think if...

3 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I'm not familiar with the Centerville venue, but it's possible they just didn't have a scene set for that venues characteristics. 

We need to remember that usually a sound team will have hours in a venue to tune a system, while these people are doing it based on theoretical information about the venue, and then adjusting on the fly.

That's my point: they don't have time to do it right.

I work in theater, admittedly not on the technical side, but I do know that in just our venue, where we perform all the time, there are three or four days of technical rehearsal after all the microphones and speakers are set, a good deal of which time is spent adjusting the sound.

So in a way, it's amazing how well the corps do, relative to the limitations they face. But a relative success can still be a failure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

It had been a couple of years since the last Centerville Show right? Centerville used to be a yearly stop for many corps last decade but it seems like they are not as common in recent years..  I would imagine they took a chance on the sound for that venue but in your ears they could have done better.. They probably agreed and took notes for next time.. 

When I spoke to them, they said they make have generic soundscapes by the size of the venue, If they have no info and haven't had a chance to fine tune for that venue they go Generic for the run to be safe and then take notes for the next time they are there.. 

Centerville has been an annual show for several decades, but not every corps goes there every year.

And "took notes for next time" doesn't help the audience who was there a week ago.

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

We are no longer talking about an activity where the staff is limited to addressing frequency and amplitude issues like timing, tuning, and balance. Sound engineers are also dealing with phase and DC offset, resonant frequencies, filtering, minimizing reflections cause by the environment and a host of other issues that human beings are literally unable to address without technology. 

And none of those were problems until we added A&E.  (Okay, one exception - reverb in the R R R R C C C C A A A A Dome Dome Dome Dome).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

When I spoke to them, they said they make have generic soundscapes by the size of the venue, If they have no info and haven't had a chance to fine tune for that venue they go Generic for the run to be safe and then take notes for the next time they are there.. 

As Jeff said several pages back, judges seem to be going easy on corps' sound mixing. Corps who sound worse at a local show than they did at the big regional a few days before because of poor sound design that doesn't fit the venue ought to see a hit in their music and g.e. scores -- but that generally doesn't seem to happen.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

except you can usually detect autotune...and if anything behind it is unmic'd autotune will expose it.

funny how technology can blow up in your face

not really funny though. 

7 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Yes they were. 

The argument here being that DCI was charging professional level money but putting out an amateur product.. 

2 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

The argument here being that DCI was charging professional level money but putting out an amateur product.. 

The argument here being that all of music during human civilization was lame (especially anything written before 1945) until sound engineers came along to deliver it to our ears in its scientifically-proven best  presentation.

Did I summarize that correctly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

and if kids didnt like it, they wouldn't try out

:master:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eleran said:

The argument here being that all of music during human civilization was lame (especially anything written before 1945) until sound engineers came along to deliver it to our ears in its scientifically-proven best  presentation.

Did I summarize that correctly?

No you didn't.  But you provided an excellent reduction to absurdity.

The argument being that technology (in all forms) allows people to do things that are otherwise not possible.  As it relates to this discussion, we are dealing with music in unique venues.  As it relates to another discussion, we are dealing with music that is recorded to a medium.

Edited by cfirwin3