What would you think if...

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Unhhhh.... You realize that even acoustic singles go through DOZENS OF HOURS AND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS worth of post production mastering, to make it sound "acoustic" right? 

That right there, proves every single other one of my points. 

Every example of recorded and (most) live performances are filtered through a sound engineer. Everything you consume is processed and mastered to not only be the best version of that particular piece/track, but to be maximized for the venue/method in which it's bring distributed. 

Even when you think you're listening to something raw and unedited... You're more than likely not. 

For instance... I recently listened to a recording of a show from 1999 that I heard probably 50 times that summer in person. You know what I could hear? Everything, including the front ensemble, the whole time. Despite the fact that I know from first hand experience the front ensemble wasn't audible more than 10 or so rows up, 

The magic of sound down production ladies and gentlemen! Now coming to a field near you, live and unfiltered 

Well.... Actually, heavily filtered. But you know what I mean. 

SCIENCE .... I saw Trombone Shorty with Orleans Ave. a few years back at Audubon park and unless the sound engineer was underneath the manhole cover then I have no idea where they hid that Science guy. 

Edited by E3D
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Even when you think you're listening to something raw and unedited... You're more than likely not. 

For instance... I recently listened to a recording of a show from 1999 that I heard probably 50 times that summer in person. You know what I could hear? Everything, including the front ensemble, the whole time. Despite the fact that I know from first hand experience the front ensemble wasn't audible more than 10 or so rows up, 

Which proves it was processed?  Or were the mics simply closer than row 11?

If this is an example of the "science" you were taught in those advanced degree programs, you deserve a tuition refund.

57 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so then say they want to raise the membership limit or add woodwinds......then it will be more of the same arguments that never end. tho some of those changes may be the straw that breaks many fans backs

Woodwinds are coming because of where we are now or what has been allowed up until now. If WGI is into it then DCI will follow. WGI makes the changes for DCI, very obvious. I am still a fan so far. 

The old adage of given an inch they take a mile. That is what is in play here. 

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Which proves it was processed?  Or were the mics simply closer than row 11?

If this is an example of the "science" you were taught in those advanced degree programs, you deserve a tuition refund.

You're being intentionally obtuse. 

They used multiple mics and mixed it in the studio, obviously.

Or alternatively the mics were on the front sideline. If I'm being honest I don't quite remember other than the booms in front of the pit (hard to miss when you're standing right in front of them). 

Edited by MarimbaManiac

51 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

then go to the lot to hear it. they aren't changing the rules backwards.

Part of your statement is stupid in my opinion,  but part of it really has merit. A change to what is going on now would not necessarily mean backwards. YMDV

When I really want to know what a DL or Brass line sound like - I go out to the lot and listen. 

20 minutes ago, Eleran said:

The argument here being that all of music during human civilization was lame (especially anything written before 1945) until sound engineers came along to deliver it to our ears in its scientifically-proven best  presentation.

Did I summarize that correctly?

yeah It was totally lame that is why music did not really start until well after the 40's because they did not have sound engineers. all music before Science is totally discounted. :notme:

How old are these Science "reinforcement" engineers doing this for the corps? Under 21? 

I know it has been mentioned but I just wanted to say - If you got it and use it then why not JUDGE it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

What do you think we are talking about here? Acoustics/psychoacoustics are a science that people spend most of their lives mastering. We are no longer talking about an activity where the staff is limited to addressing frequency and amplitude issues like timing, tuning, and balance. Sound engineers are also dealing with phase and DC offset, resonant frequencies, filtering, minimizing reflections cause by the environment and a host of other issues that human beings are literally unable to address without technology. 

46 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And none of those were problems until we added A&E.  (Okay, one exception - reverb in the R R R R C C C C A A A A Dome Dome Dome Dome).

44 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Yes they were. 

Then you can provide examples of pre-A&E corps docked by judges on account of DC offset?  Filtering?