What would you think if...

16 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think so, yes. Because much of the time the "adjusted" sound is not good.

And just so I don't misunderstand you: the brass judges are behind the speakers and thus are not evaluating the overall sound quality -- that's what you're saying, right?

I am thinking more of Music ensemble judges and Effect judges. Field brass would not be looking at the things a judge in the box is looking for. I don't think miccing or not would have any impact on field brass.

As to the assertion that "much of the time the "adjusted" sound is not good"...there is as wide a spectrum of quality today as there ever was IMO.

13 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

No.  They are judging humans doing their best with a show written for them.  They are looking for broad issues... Pedagogical lapses, systemic consistency... Not for 1 thing to go off or be wrong.

In which case, just have the judges attend a sampling of each corps' rehearsal and skip the shows.

• Like 2

Just now, MikeD said:

As to the assertion that "much of the time the "adjusted" sound is not good"...there is as wide a spectrum of quality today as there ever was IMO.

Individual talent is stronger than ever. How it comes across to the audience is not, in my opinion, although there are always exceptions. At the top end, there are two mostly dazzling shows this year and then a bunch that demonstrate technical achievement without being very appealing. A number of less ambitious shows farther down the ranks, including Open Class shows, are more enjoyable.

But we'll see what happens over the next few days. I wonder about Crown in particular. For most of the season their show has seemed very random to me, but through sheer excellence of performance they seem to be making something exciting out of it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In which case, just have the judges attend a sampling of each corps' rehearsal and skip the shows.

Why?  For what purpose 'should' judges NOT judge at the show time?

Edited by cfirwin3

7 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I think their point was that if you're going to judge at the show time, you should judge the actual performance and what is or isn't achieved, rather than

broad issues... Pedogogical lapses, systemic consistency... Not for 1 thing to go off or be wrong.

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

If it doesn't really matter how well the members perform on a given night because what's really being judged is the pedagogy, let's stop pretending otherwise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

I think their point was that if you're going to judge at the show time, you should judge the actual performance and what is or isn't achieved, rather than

What I listed IS what happens at the show time... There is just a STRONG desire by some, for adjudication to look like a deduction rating on finite 'errors'

Crack a note... Lose a point.

Drop a rifle... Lose a point.

Etc.

Edited by cfirwin3

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

What I listed IS what happens at the show time... There is just a STRONG desire by some, for adjudication to look like a deduction rating on finite 'errors'

Etc.

You mean there are some who want to go back to some sort of the TICK system?  

3 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Etc.

Oh like it used to be... with GE as part of the mix too.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

If it doesn't really matter how well the members perform on a given night because what's really being judged is the pedagogy, let's stop pretending otherwise.

Who said it doesn't matter?

But even if it did or didn't, why not adjudicate at a ceremonial exhibition?